To the Momma Hanging On By A Thread

I have no idea what last night was like for you. Maybe you got a great night of sleep and you woke up this morning ready to conquer the day. Or maybe you spent hour after hour holding and rocking and feeding a fussy baby, or a sick baby, or a baby who just refused to close their eyes.

Maybe there were small hands that shook you to tell you that they had a bad dream.

Or maybe the transition into a big boy/girl bed isn’t as easy as you hoped, and last night was another night of being kicked in the face by a tiny toddler who slept much more soundly than you did.

Maybe a restless night has made today feel like an extension of yesterday… And yesterday an extension of the day before.

Maybe all of your days seem to run together and you are standing in a place where tomorrow looks like more of the same.

I get it. Momma, I totally get it.

Maybe you woke up and were ready for today to be different. Happy attitudes, extra patience, and no yelling

And maybe by 8:15 you realized that it was going to be another day full of fussy babies, demanding toddlers, and guilt from losing your temper when you could have just taken a deep breath and calmly said it again (for the 100th time.)

Maybe breakfast is still out on the counter, or lunch or dinner, and you can’t stop to clean it up because you have to find another pair of Buzz Lightyear undies because all of those articles on how to potty train your kid in 36 hours were a bunch of bunk.

Maybe you’re out of diapers, and the milk went bad, and the bill you paid a week ago got lost in the mail.

Maybe you’re on your 3rd ear infection this month or it feels like you have visited the doctor’s office so often that you should have your own parking spot.

Maybe everything that could go wrong has gone wrong and nothing seems fixable – you don’t know how you’ll make it, but you keep going because there are no other options and if you sink – the whole ship goes down with you.

Momma – I get it.

Sometimes I want to scream when I read posts that tell me to cherish these moments. These moments of pure exhaustion when you’re hanging on by a thread.

When you don’t remember the last time you had a proper meal or felt like you weren’t in charge of EVERYTHING.

Because we already know it’s true. We know that one day we will look around and miss all of this madness… but today… today in the middle of it… we don’t need to add guilt to our exhaustion.

We just need hope.

I have been right where you’re standing, and while I cannot promise an easier today or better tomorrow. I can tell you that you’re going to make it.

It won’t always be this hard. It won’t always be this demanding.

There will come a day when you look around and realize that everything doesn’t seem quite so overwhelming. You won’t be able to pinpoint the exact moment it happened, but it’s just not as hard as it used to be.

That day is coming, friend.

But until then borrow my hope, friend.

Has anyone told you today that you’re doing a great job? That you’re an awesome Momma? Because you are! Those little ones love you more than anything, and most importantly, they know that you love them too.

Take a second with me. Listen to my words. You’re going to make it. You really are. And I’m so glad I get to be the one to remind you.

So, before you do anything else, hug those precious babies. Hold them tight and remind yourself that there is no greater joy than the little lives wrapped up in your arms. And every day is completely worth it to get to be called their momma.

From another momma in the trenches,

This is an excerpt of my book Hope Unfolding.  Click the image below to read the first chapters now.

Hope Unfolding

Comments

• jill says:

Thank you so much for this! I’m pretty sure you must have seen my life for the last week or so. Last night was a long night of constantly trying to get my almost 10 month old to sleep. It’s been a rough few days and I feel like I’m barely hanging on. Thank you for the encouragement!

• Shayla says:

You read my mind today!! Through he tears I want to say thanks!! Sick baby, grandmother on hospice!

• La Tanya Mathews says:

Thank you. This is so true and right on time.

• Sara says:

I. Love. You.
    Thank you.

• elise says:

Your stories help me so much! When I read them they pit a smile on my face and help me get through the day :)

• Nikki says:

Soooo needed this tonight! Just sat down after struggling all day with an uncomfortable, upset 5 month old! You brought a tear to my eye and peace to my soul. Thank you!

• Senna says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is exactly what I needed today.

• Lynne says:

Last night my five month old spit up while sleeping and inhaled some. After suctioning out what I could from his poor screaming mouth and talking to the doctor, we almost had to run him to the hospital. A nightmare to say the least; all coming on the heels of not wanting to sleep more than two hours at a time. I needed to hear this and I am so glad someone shared this on Facebook.

• Christi says:

Where was this blog when I was right in the middle of this?! You. Totally. Nailed. It. I hated it when people told me to enjoy those days…HA! Those days were TOUGH! But you’re right. It DOES get better. I’m in the take-a-deep-breath-and-enjoy-it-before-they-become-hormone-driven-teenagers phase. The one nobody has EVER told me to cherish. LOL

• JKent says:

Thank you just doesn’t seem enough to express how I feel but thats all I have.

• Brittany says:

I love reading every single thing you post. All I need now is advice on how to juggle my marriage and all that is involved while being the best momma I can be, keeping the house clean, taking care of everyone at my workplace, and being the wife that he wants me to be.

• Kristen says:

My little one is 13 and yet I needed to hear this today more than anything.
    Thank you!!!
    x0x0x

• Denise says:

Thanks for writing a blog. Your posts are such an encouragement that I save them for the end of the hard days. I want to check for new posts every day…but I save it for the hard ones. It’s like having an internet sister. (I have a real sister and she is awesome, too. But there’s always room for one more in the family.)

• Tiffany says:

Thank you! I needed this more than you know tonight. Just a little dose of encouragement to keep me going. Thank you a million times over.

• Delilah says:

All I can say is Thank you oh so very much for this! :)

• Lee Ann says:

Amazing how you always have the words that match up with what I need for encouragement. I read this and cried while holding my two week old. He is my third child and I am so thankful to cherish the sweet moments. But the first few weeks are a challenge with nursing and sleep deprivation topped with quick meals and short showers. However, these moments are short lived and tomorrow is it’s own day. I am thankful for the reminder that I am doing a good job day to day…trying not to be overwhelmed but to do what is necessary,breathe,and love the time with my family. Thanks for the caring words. Here’s to a good day ahead. Thanks be to God for everything!

• tina Katrina says:

Ty!!!

• Angela Goins says:

Ok my gosh, I am speechless and have eyes full of tears! I have been feeling so misunderstood since becoming a stay at home mom. I feel like everything I do is insignificant. I have been trying to put how I feel into words and this is exactly it! Especially how all the days run together. Sometimes I dread going to sleep because it is just going to be the same thing again the next day. I love it and would not change it for the world. I love being able to spend time with my babies and go up and eat lunch with them at school. However IT IS HARD. I love it but, IT IS HARD. I don’t feel like many people get the way I feel, but you do. You changed me today. Thank you. I am keeping this to re read as much as I need to.

• Debra says:

This brought me to tears. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for the words of encouragement I never get anywhere else.

• savannah says:

You have no idea how much I needed this post and came across it at just the right time my son is 2 and has a trach and is on a ventilator at home… his nurses have not been here in two nights because the schedule got messed up…. right in the middle of a garage sale I’ve been working on for three weeks to make some extra cash for my older two boys school items..
    .no one came so this post really spoke to me thank you

• Diana says:

Thank you soooo much! It is not quite 5am and I am up with my baby girl. She is my fourth child and only girl. The girl I waited ten long years for. I love my sons, but I think every momma would like to have at least one girl. And there are times I regret getting pregnant a fifth time (we lost one before our third son). The timing was less than ideal financially, we were having some marital issues, and it had been five LONG years since we had a newborn in the house. I find myself just longing for the boys to go AWAY for a day or two (it is summer vacation and it’s a drag when you’re broke), wishing she would just take a bloomin nap without being held for once, or sleep at night, or that for one day-ONE DAY-no one would need anything from me! There are days I seriously don’t remember how long it’s been since I showered and as I think back, it’s been Saturday night or Sunday…and here it is Wednesday. And I feel GUILT. Gut-wrenching, soul-killing, relentless guilt! I spend waaaay too much time on facebook and not nearly enough on housework/kid stimulating activities because I am TIRED. Discipline runs quickly into yelling because I’m too tired to think straight. If I’m going to stay awake, I have to have some sort of mental stimulation that doesn’t come from discussing the finer points of Lego building projects or who farted-so I get on the computer or read a book or watch a movie. I get sooo angry sometimes. I think if I hear one more, “Mooooooom!” I may loose my mind! By the time my husband gets home, I. Am. Done. By dinner time, I have reached the, “Don’t talk to me” phase of my day. And I feel awful for all of it. All I want is to go to bed. But once I’ve gotten everyone in bed and hubby is in bed, too (he gets up at 3:15, so he’s in bed before the kids most nights), I sit up for hours because it is my only ME time. And I wake up TIRED and the whole process starts over again. School starts one week from tomorrow and I feel bad for wanting to do a happy dance, even though I know too that it is the best thing for all of us. I have finally ignored the “enjoy it now” people. Whenever I hear that now, I simply think (or say, depending on the person and my mood), “No, I’ll get through this episode, this day-and I’ll grit my teeth-I’ll enjoy the bits I can, but this tantrum, day-long gripe fest, I’ll file that in the “let’s do that different next time” file.” I have a hard time with mommy guilt. I am an up and down person. Not bi-polar, but very intense-and tense. When I’m down, I’m DOWN and it’s hard to get back up. I needed this light at the end of the tunnel message! To hear that even though lately I haven’t been the Mother of the Year, my kids love me anyway, I DO love them, and the reminder that I won’t always be sleep deprived and touched-out. Thank you!

• Nicole says:

I soooooo needed this today!

• Wendy says:

Thank you for the complete lack of chiding. And thank you more for the cyber shoulder. I had a midwife who gave similar advice when I was ready to file my resignation as a mother! Good luck to everyone else out there.

• Kara says:

THANK YOU so much for this. I NEEDED it!

• Karri Charpentier LeGault says:

I stumbled upon your site because a friend shared this post. I just wanted to share that there are days that I feel like I am barely “hanging in there” and it really spoke to me. I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face (after reading a couple other entries too). You have an amazing talent of sharing your heart to speak to the hearts of others and for that I wanted to say a BIG thank YOU!

• Dad says:

Please remember Dads in this too. Some of us are struggling just as much.

• Nicole says:

I needed this today more than you could possibly know! Thank you so much

• JS says:

I needed this. Bad. My 4yo DD has really been testing my patience….on top of the fact that I’m going back into the classroom this week and I’ve started my Masters program, my rope is a little thin. So thank you for reminding me of the love, joy, and happiness that comes through all the chaos. We. Will. Survive. :)

• Karolyn says:

Thank you!
    You sometimes need an outsider remind you of what you take for granted!

• cole says:

My wife is going through a tough time right now and I want to do anything I can to help her. The problem is everything I do or say right now only makes things worse. What can I do to make things easier for her?

• Ann c says:

I have a niece that has 5 children..She is a good Mother. They range from 11 to 2 in age. There are 4 boys and 1 girl right in the middle. She is as active as they are but she loves them all the same. She does her best without a daddy that lives in their house. Just wanted to say that and thank you. Her Mother died 2 years ago in November and she has no one to help her with the mother answers. I told her to call me but she is a very proud person and I live 4 hours away. Thank you for this and keep up the good work.

• Liz says:

It seems like I’ve had two straight weeks of bad days. Sleepless nights with a 4 month old, hectic days with a smart, defiant 2 1/2 year old. My body feels like it can’t take one more minute of the stress and guilt over not being my best. My husband sent this to me just now and I had a good ugly cry while reading it. Thank you for making me feel a little more sane today.

• Suzie says:

I really needed this thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Mahogany M. says:

Thank you so much for those kind words. I am the mother of five month old twins. I never have a minute to take out the dog, cook, even shower unless my husband is home. My days are complete chaos but my boys are happy and healthy. I found out last week I was pregnant again and although it is a blessing all I could do was cry. The sanity that I was looking for is a dream now. Your kind words remind me that the day is coming and I appreciate it.

• Nicole says:

Thank you so very much for this!

From:
    Your fellow mother holding a shovel next to you

• Cheryl Remer says:

Perfect for today! Up for two hours last night with little man and I so wish I could have stayed in bed, but tiny little footsteps coming down the stairs at 7am, says otherwise. I am soooo tired. Thank you relating!

• sarah beth says:

thank you…. from a really tired mama…

• Amy says:

I cannot describe how much I needed this post…one of my best friends in the world sent this to me in a moment of dire need. It is the truest picture of my life at this moment and I feel so blessed to have read it. Thank you so much.

• Julie says:

Thanks SO much for this post…I have an almost 3.5 yo, a 19 mo old and am 7.5 mo pregnant. Most of my days lately feel so full of failure, disappointment with myself, a lack of joy and ‘cherishing’ these moments, frustration, and even pure anger. And sometimes all by 8 a.m!!! :) Thanks for your words of encouragement. I need to remember this each and every day when I don’t think I can make it because this.is.so.hard.

• Maria Obrien says:

This has a lot of great stuff. For some perspective, I feel compelled to add that anyone with a healthy baby or kiddo, needs to remember that the normal challenges are an immense blessing. It’s all hard but it helps to remember the spectrum of the mom audience.

• darci says:

Wow. Exactly what I needed. Thank you. God Bless you as you did me. Sometimes you just feel so alone and can’t imagine anyone else feeling the same way.

• Samantha says:

such a GREAT post. Thank you!

• E'von Wright says:

our oldest is 60, next in line is 58 next is 57, your rough days and nights will pass and you will wonder where the time has gone, my kids had a wonderful grand ma and grand dad, they were such a help with our kids ( all boys). I am 79 and I can really say I miss those times, we parents learn so from them. But the love is there through thick and thin. Hang in there, we have prayer for a good reason. Waited 58 years for grand children (2). I have been blessed.

• Lynn says:

Thank you. May God bless you for your encouraging words. My husband is on deployment number 8, I’m in my 3rd trimester with a 1yr old and 3 yr old and we just moved to a new city. Feeling so isolated, alone and completely overwhelmed as we adjust to this new “life.” Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

• April says:

Thank you. I’m a single mom to amazing b/g twins, who just turned two. Oh, and I stay at home with them as well. Life is absolutely insane. Between PT, OT, numerous Dr appts (they are always sick),braces for my girls legs, allergy issues, up all night coughing, the list goes on and on. I could write a book on how busy I am with them and how lonely and crazy it is. Of course I could write awesome things too. I am barely hanging on majority of my days. However, after reading this, I feel better. I am going to bookmark this so I can always come back to it when i am barely hanging on.

• sabrina says:

I just woke up….but this pretty much brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much! I seriously want to print this out and read it before bed every night.

• surrah says:

8 years and counting… but those boys are still the reason I open my eyes every morning!!

• Michelle Praeger says:

It has been a rough 8 weeks. My dad went into hospice care and passed away. I am also a mother to a 5 year old that starts kindergarten in 9 days and 2 year old boy/girl twins. Needless to say I have been overwhelmed and just emotionally exhausted. Thank you for your encouraging words. I know it will get easier, but as for now, it seems forever away.

• Kay Fauss says:

Thank you for this! It is great to know that I am not alone. Just yesterday I had a rough day with my kids and I was frustrated with them but most of all I was frustrated with my self. We are expecting twins in December and last night I found myself wondering what I got my self into…I mean how can I possibly handle two more kids when I can’t even seem to handle the two I already have? We are all so excited to meet these babies and I know that everything will be fine. Thank you for the reminder that we will make it :)

• I definitely needed this today! As I sit here with a raging headache, forgetting what day it is, I totally needed this!

• Renee T says:

Your post made me nod, smile and tear up! Well said and so well received! A little hope goes such a long way!

• Mikayla says:

This helped turn my day around. Just went back to work and trying to juggle the house, kids, appointments and never getting to spend time with my husband (we have 4 little ones and work separate shifts to avoid the nightmare of daycare costs) all while running on 4 hours of sleep a night is beyond exhausting. Thank you <3

• I needed this today. Thank you. It feels like my 10-month-old baby has been fussy every day of her life, even though I know that’s not true. I know this will pass, but it’s so darn hard in the moment. Thank you.

• Sandy says:

Thank you for this! I so needed it!And reading the other comments makes me feel so much better because I can see I am not the only one!

• Margaret says:

Thank you!

• Adrienne says:

Thank you so much for this!!! It brought tears to my eyes…somedays I have no idea how I make it til bedtime then continue to finish cleaning and getting myself ready for work the next day. Oh and of course one baby is sick, the other teething. The mountains of laundry and dishes is never ending and I’m constantly trying to get ahead and as soon as I do something else happens. You are so right. Cherish every single moment because one day they will leave the nest and we will miss the snotty noses, toys to pick up, dishes and laundry, bed time stories, late nights and doctors appointments. I’ll be reading this for the next week guaranteed!

• Teresa says:

I am a 54 yr old mother of 3 grown children and grandmother of a 2 yr old who lives with us and a 9 yr old. And as a women with 10 yrs of daycare experience. I can say without a doubt: You cannot potty train a child in 36 hrs! At best utctakes several weeks. Most take a couple to 3 months. And some take a yr or more! As for cherishing your children. Please do. But don’t feel guilty that you don’t cherish every moment and wish every day they were older or even as teenagers. Wish they were younger( you will). Some moments are best forgotten. Take care of yourself as best you can and try to hold on to your sanity if possible!

• Barb says:

I teared up just by reading the title. I am a mama hanging on by a thread, but not the kind you describe. I am hanging on to the thread of my big boy (13) as he walks into manhood. I would give anything to return to those days when life was hard but simple and he was my little boy. Cherish these days, mamas, cherish those little ones. Our job is to create amazing, autonomous creatures to send out into the world. And even though I know that and love my job, it is both wonderful and incredibly painful to watch it all unfold. I treasure these times and I hope you do as well!

• Melissa says:

My heart to yours…. Thank You!

• Diane says:

It’s one of those day when all I needed to hear were a few encouraging words from someone who just gets it, not a list of how I *should* be doing this or that. Thank you for the support and your words! The thread was feeling thin!!

• Lindsay says:

I completely broke down bawling heaving crying when I read the line “you’re going to make it.” I didn’t even know how badly I needed to hear it. I’m a military wife/mom and it’s so true that I can’t remember the last time I felt like I wasn’t in charge of EVERYTHING and there’s just no other choice and that’s just not the way we imagine our life will be as little girls ya know =) Thank you for these words – this encouragement and hope.
    Thank you!

• haley says:

This made me cry wow its how i feel everyday but if you are a parent and dont feel like this you aint doin it right so true thank u for this :)

• Becca says:

Thank you for your kind words. I needed them at 37 weeks pregnant and 2 under 4 I am exhausted and I lost it in the madness of dr appts and baby organizing! Thank you for making me feel like it will be ok because honestly while screaming I felt like it was all too much:) I am better now thanks to your kind words:)

• Shea says:

I am a new stay at home mom of a 17 month old and an 8 week old. I just separated from the Air Force 2 months ago an I have always wanted to be a stay at home mom…until now! I feel like I am just drowning and have no one to take care of me. I haven’t showered in a few days because I don’t have time and when I finally do at the end of the day I am just to exhausted. I feel like I am a horrible parent when I get so aggravated with my 17 month old an just want to run away. My husband works full time and feels that he deserves as much sleep as he can get and never helps me except on the weekend and even then he pitches a fit of he has to feed my newborn if he is asleep. After my first son was born I was still working full time and I got him ready for daycare every morning, picked him up from daycare everyday after work, took care of him all night by myself then did it again the next day. I have gotten to where I almost dread the nights cawz I know that it’s all going to start over again in a few short hours. If feels nice to be told I’m doing a good job from someone even tho I don’t know you and you don’t know me! Thank you for this!!

• Lauren says:

I needed to read these words today. I am so in love with my daughter and being a mama, but it is SO hard sometimes. I just want a couple of hours of me time where I am not working or doing housework or carrying the baby around. It’s just hard and I am so tired. I just want a couple of rounds off of the merry go round that is now life. Love to all mamas out there, you are amazing.

• Struggling first time mom says:

My beautiful, smart, quickly growing 15 month old daughter is the light of my life! But my relationship with her father is barely hanging by a thread. I thought today would be a great day, a family day! But Dad…slept until 2pm. This is just one of so many issues, I’ve tried therapy, I’ve tried everything I can think of. I just want to run and hide…but where would I go!? My unfortunate thought of the day!

• Lisa says:

This mama of twin three year olds needed to know I wasn’t alone. In the moment, it gets so overwhelming. Feeling better! Off to (another) birthday party with two cranky kids. Pray!

• Annette says:

What a wonderful encouragement. I never thought I would still be telling myself to hold on, things will get better 17 years later, but parents with children who have physical disabilities or emotional issues deal with these things much longer than normal. Thanks for the positive word.

• kami says:

My husband works 7 days a week 12 hrs a day. We live with my mother who is recovering from surgery number 3 this year and I am her nurse care taker and PT coach (and she has the housekeeping expectancy to make any good housekeeping writer proud) and I have a 2 year ninja octomonkey and a 6 year old going on 16. Thank you. Because there are days when I just want to pull the covers over my head and ignore everything. But I muddle through and drink copious amounts of coffee to keep my eyes open if with only limited brain function. I know I’m not alone in this endeavor…but sometimes it sure seems like it.

• Brooke says:

Thank you! My 5’week old has colic and I have a 23 month old. We attempted to take them to Disneyland today and it was crazy! With lack of sleep on my end, a crying baby and a terrible-two attitude child it was so hard on me. I know that it will get easier but during the chaos of everyday it SO hard to see the long term outcome. Thank you for this! It made me tear up to know I am not the only one. And to those parents that do it alone, whether full time, while spouses are deployed, or whatever other reason…I applaud you! My husband works 4 10 hour shifts and I think that is too much.

• Lisa says:

Thank you so much, you nailed. My life right now is so stressful being a mom of two now. One who is 4yrs, and also having a 3 week old baby!!! I sure hope to see more post in the future to keep my spirits up!!! Again thank you, thank you, thank you!

• Caitlin says:

thank you! boy did I need that! you summed up my life for the past…I don’t even know how long…I feel like I haven’t slept in over a year. I wouldn’t change my life with my son for anything because I am so blessed! but thank you for making me feel that I am not the only one out there feeling this way…it did give me hope!
    take care

• Mishel Yanik says:

Thank you! I needed this this week!

• Melissa B. says:

Thank you! I have a 22 month old and just had another baby 2 weeks ago, both boys. This brought tears to my eyes, and you explained my last few weeks as though you were watching me through the window. There have been many tears and sleepless nights. Thank you for your encouraging words.

this is great! a blog for real moms dealing with real life struggle of carung for our precious babes. I think the hardest thing to come to terms with is that this is not a dream and I wake up everyday to the chaos. my own mother reminds me that this too shall pass and one day they’ll grow out of the tantrums and whining, so thats what keeps me hanging on. .. by a thread lol!

• God bless you for the encouragement. Beautifully written words, full of truth and so much grace. Thank you!!

• Carrie says:

This is where I am today. Toddler and infant. And we’re all sick. Busiest work week of the year this week. And our wedding that I need to finalize the details of over the next couple months. Tired and stressed to the max. Sick and exhausted. One day it will be easier. We’ll keep muddling through until then.

• Amber says:

I loved reading this. You are right it does get easier, and those babies are so worth it. I love it when my son tells me “you are the best momma in the world” totally melts my heart and makes every day worth it. :)

• Vanessa says:

I just love this and exactly what I needed to read. Being a momma is THE hardest and most enjoyable job that I have ever had. I feel all the time that I have no control and for me the control freak it’s SO hard. But I tell you, when that baby boy grabs my face and plants the wettest kiss or when he belly laughs because I am obviously the most hilarious person ever …. I forget it all. My stress melts away and my life and my family are exactly what I want and exactly where I am supposed to be. Hard times included

• jamie says:

I needed this. Thank you :)

• Brandy says:

Thanks so much!!! I needed this. It’s been hard for me to adjust to my little newborn who was born two months early. It’s been almost three months and it’s been a wild ride already. Your words touched my heart. I needed someone to remind me it’s ok and I’m not alone. Thank you!!!

• Bell says:

Thank you! I needed this! :)

• Renee P says:

I struggle with a chronic illness that I have to battle every day while being a mom. Exhaustion, nausea and upper abdominal pain that makes breathing and standing difficult. Fighting for my life. Please remember that someone has it worse than you. I remind myself that some moms and dads have terminal cancer. Some moms and dads have children with chronic or terminal disease. It makes it easier for me to realize it isn’t that bad for me and keeps me going.

• Yetzi says:

I believe in God and I believe in angels. For me right now at this precisely moment you are one. I needed so badly to hear this today. Thank you So much !! From the bottom of my heart

• Check says:

Really needed to hear that. It’s been a rough few weeks. Just had my 2nd child and have been trying to recover from emergency c-section while dealing with a sick toddler and haven’t been able to drive for nearly 6 weeks. I know it will get better eventually but sometimes it feels like it never will.

• Stephanie says:

Thank you so much. I really needed this today. God bless you.

• Elizabeth says:

I haven’t seen my baby since last night before i went into work, and i wont see her until dinner time; im in school all day today. Im currently running on 5 hrs of sleep and caffeine. I so needed this article right now.

• Glen says:

Please don’t forget about those hands on dads like myself. Whom the kids call on me the majority of the time throughout the night when they wake up. :)

• tiffany says:

Thank you!

• […] I just found this article and fell in love with it. It is so true and I wanted to share in case there are others out there that feel a tad overwhelmed… I hope you find it as encouraging as I did http://www.scissortailsilk.com/2014/…n-by-a-thread/ […]

• Lindsey says:

This is exactly what I needed! Between my 3 year old daughter and my 1 month old twin sons I often feel like I’m drowning. So glad I read this tonight.

• Andrea Hernandez says:

Thank you! Yesterday was the last straw for me. My car has been getting fixed for the past 3 weeks and I finally get the phone call that it is ready but even before I get home it breaks down on me again. This has happened to me since the first time they have fixed it. Yesterday I rolled up in a ball and started crying. Then my little monsters all 3 of them came up to me and hugged me and told me its ok momma we will be good tomorrow. They think I was crying because of them but no I sometimes get overwhelmed with them but I love my little monsters. Thank you!

• Francesca says:

I’m sitting in my car getting ready to head to class as a 27 year old mom of three boys whose husband is in his first year of residency, and I’m crying with relief. I have so many people in my life who don’t get it; who say to calm down or that I’m screwing up my kids… Especially lately I’ve been feeling very alone and like a terrible mother. I feel like my kids hate me and never want to see me. But every time one of them throws their grimy little hands around my just washed pant leg, I feel like I’m the most important person in their world… And then I feel guilty for yelling or sitting down in surrender when my two year old just won’t stop hitting his baby or big brothers. So thank you. It’s amazing to be reminded that along with “this too shall pass” comes “cherish each moment, smile and hug.” Thank you.

• Sylena H. says:

Love this article. I have a 12 year old girl, and 10 year old boy with a prosthetic leg. As I read your article, I simply thought of all the things that are appropriate to this stage of life for my family of four. And all of what you said still fits. Thank you for saying “you are doing a great job, you are an awesome mom,” no one says that to me, and even tho you don’t know me, reading it was encouraging.

• Shiree says:

I’m a SAHHM of 6 (the youngest are seven week old twins). This season is rough and your message is timely. Thank you.

• Moriah says:

Thank you for this.. <3

• hannah says:

This brought tears to my eyes because it is my life to the tee…thank you for relating and understanding :-)

• Charlene says:

Thank you so much for this. I am a single mom and I had a preemie at 26 weeks. I got to bring him home after 146 days in the hospital and he has a lot of special needs due to a trach and G-Tube. I also have a 2 year old. Thank you for making me not feel alone. I can’t express how much I needed something like this. God bless!!

• Hannah says:

I needed this today in a little different way. I am a SAHM to 4 kids and this past month has been ridiculously trying with getting one to kindergarten, new friends, bad influences, one to prek 2 home, My own full time school, cleaning, renovating, holidays coming, seeing hubby maybe 30 minutes a week since he works nights, 6 days on 2 off. Laundry is piled sky high and a water pipe burst so my 3 year old that never sleeps and I cleaned 3 inches of water in 5/8 of our house up until 3 AM…it’s not as hard as it was nearly two years ago when I gave birth to our 4th, my first c-section,post partum depression, none in school or preK and husband was a long haul trucker out for 6 weeks, home for 2 days. I could barely get out of bed in those days and now I might get stressed out but this is so much easier than 2 years ago and I do see a light at the end of the tunnel and I needed to be reminded to open my eyes and look! Thank you so much for this!

• maggie daily says:

Love reading your blogs. I can relate to each and everyone that I have read. We all need inspiration. Thank you

• Brittani says:

Thank you so much.. God knows I needed to read this.

• Sara Borkowski says:

Thanks I needed that right now!

• Katie says:

Thank you so much, I have almost lost hope and wanted to give up, it’s hard not having people tell me this, I needed this so much it has brought me to tears and I am so thankful. God has truly sent you to me in a shared post. Thank you again. God bless!.

• Sonia says:

wow. Simply put. wow. Through tears reading this, I felt a joy in my heart that one can only feel when they have the overwhelming joy of having babies of your own. It was so well put, from the anger felt to the feeling of being tired, to the frustration feeling of being in charge of everything or the “ship will sink”. Thank you for making me take 3 minutes to think about my 3 boys and how much I love them and how everything else can just wait. Maybe I should re read this every morning so that I can remember that everything else can. just. wait.

• Ang says:

Thank you. This is precisely what I needed to hear, maybe not for right this second, but bookmarked for those moments when I do. Thank you.

• Sara says:

With tears streaming down my face (it’s my new look), I have to say thank you. My twins are 4 days old, and we brought them home last night. I’m overwhelmed, exhausted, and more emotional than I knew was possible. I so needed this.

• Brooke says:

I definitely needed to read this today! im a single mom to a little boy I adopted, working two jobs and working on my masters and most days it seems like there’s no light at the end of the tunnel and I feel guilty every night for losing my temper and screaming at my son because of the constant stress. Thank you for this article!

• Danielle says:

This brought tears to my eyes. Thank you, you have no idea how much I needed this.
    From a single momma of twin 2 year olds who still don’t sleep through the night, and everything else having two two year olds brings.

• MONICA BROWN says:

As i sit here and write this, i am in tears. My son seems though he has so much energy. Seems like he has adhd..he is three years old and it just seems he just screams kicks and it seems its never ending. I am a stay at home mother and it just seems my Husband and i arent on the same page when it comes to discipline. He always makes an excuse on why he throws his tantrums. Ive reached my breaking point. My son knows he can get away with certain things with him. So its like we are on different pages. Just keep me in your prayers bc at times i feel as though im not going to make it.At times i want my life to be over. I just want peace..thats all…

• megan says:

That was amazing…. I feel everything I read in this daily as I have four children. I have a 9yr old adhd boy named Zachery who drives me nuts but also is so smart and loving. I have a 6yr old autistic son named xander who makes me crazy but amazes me every single second of the day good and bad lol. I have a 2yr old medical miracle son who went through tons of surgeries at birth and spent tons of time in hospitals who is way to spoiled lol. And I was recently blessed with my babygirl who is end and will not accept a bottle to save me but I live every second with them all good and bad thank u for this……

• Keegan says:

I so needed to read this last night! I have 2 boys that are 17 months and 5 days apart in age. My oldest will be 3 on the 28th and youngest is 18 months. My husband is working 12 hours a day 7 days a week and it is all on me. Things are difficult for me right now and this helped me! Thank you!

• candyce says:

As I sit here just finally getting to put my sweet sick boy in his own bed after hours of wailing and fighting sleep, with fevers,drool and kicks in the face. I need to hear this more than ever. Thank you for the small oz of encouragement.

• tabitha says:

Thank you so much this is definitely what I needed! It’s been a crazy few days an to top it off I have sick babies 3 year old and 1 year old so reading your post hit the soft spot especially the last paragraph it brought me to tears so thanks you for taking the time to reach out its just what I needed.

• Krystal says:

I read your posts often because in this post and many others you hit the nail right on the head. Thanks for your encouragement. We all need to be reminded of how great we are doing. This morning while getting the little man ready for school was rough and so are a lot of other mornings this was just what I needed to read. Thanks again!!!

• Elizabeth Price says:

Thank you! I so needed to hear those words. And to not feel utterly alone in my weaknesses. Somehow, most moms appear to be much better than me, not run down or discouraged, not quite so imperfect… there houses are always welcoming and clean, their children well behaved, and they certainly don’t appear to be basket cases due to weeks of little to no sleep and so much pain. It was amazing hearing you get it, you’ve been there. Thank you for your honesty and transparency. I so needed to know for certain I wasn’t all alone in being so wake and broken feeling right now. I fear I am not a good mother. Especially since I am so weepy right now. I know how blessed I am. I know I ought to be so happy to have the child I prayed forand dreamed of for so many years. Yet now I am questioning even God’s wwisdom in giving me this child. I can’t help but wonder if He was protecting my other unborn children by taking them home early from me. And when I think of that I wonder why He didn’t take her, my beautiful miracle baby. Should I be a mom? What if I fail? What if I already have? Am I failing?

• Kaitlyn says:

Thank you. I never seem to do anything right. I yell and I can’t keep my house clean enough and me and my husband are always fighting because of it. My almost one year old is waking up almost every hour and I just feel hopeless. I have a two year old with cerebral palsy and I can’t so anything right with her either. I just want to cry all the time. And when I’m alone with the kids, I do. I just want to be happy and enjoy my life.

• Allie says:

Thank you so much I feel like I’m going crazy! 2 kids tryin my hardest to raise them right I needed this!

• shayla says:

I needed this so much. Thank you.

While reading this I started to cry and my one year old son crawled into my lap, wiped my tears and gave me a kiss on the cheek. :-)

• Cheryl says:

Thank you for your words of wisdom. I needed to hear this today!!

• courtney says:

Thank you for this, I really needed it today!

• Trish says:

A friend posted this on Facebook and I have to say, it’s wonderful. My only child is now almost 12 but I remember these days like they were yesterday. I remember counting the hours until my husband came home. I remember seeing all these moms toting several kids under 5 and here was me, struggling to get out of the house with one. I felt so inadequate. I thought I should have a do over and do it all “right” next time. But we get through, hopefully with the support of a community of women who understand. My son is almost 12. He is, perhaps, a bit over-protected, but in all his pre-teen wisdom, he’s helping me snap out of that. Keep supporting one another, ladies. We need it in all of life’s journey.

• Emma says:

Well you made me cry!!! Cry with relief!! Relief that I’m not going insane… There’s other Mums silently going through this too!!!

Thank you. Xxx

• Cami G. says:

As I read this through tears, I find it so encouraging. Thank you for writing this. This morning God comforted to me through this. ( a mother of 5 )

• Russ says:

Another inspirational message for mommy mom’s that leaves this single father of a 10 week old (doing it all alone since his birth while still working) exhausted, discouraged, and in need of a hug.

• Angela says:

i really needed this. My kids aren’t babies they’re teens and I am still overwhelmed. We homeschool amd my oldest is a senior which means he’s just that closer to leaving. I feel it’s all crashing down and there’s not enough hours in a day or days in a week. Sometimes I just want to disappear but these kids are everything to me and keep me grounded. I love you Joshua, Hannah, & Luke. My world is complete with you three in it. To all the Moms out there keep your chins up☺️

• adrienne holt says:

This really helped me today. I feel like i am at my breaking point. And its nice to be told that its going to be ok. That women before me have felt the same way and conquered their stresses. Thank you.

• Susan Boren says:

Love this blog! Just found it accidentally, while I don’t have a small toddler, I do have a 10yr old on the autism spectrum,with ADHD,with oppositional defiant disorder, and diagnosed as bipolar. So I often feel like a lot of these moms do and the blog today just reinforced and reconfirmed for me what a blessing my son truly is me and to the world. Thank you for that. May God bless you!

• Jacqueline says:

I just gotta say thanks. I’m a single mom of one living with my sister and helping her with her 4, she’s a single mom as well. And on a daily I deal with fighting, yelling (theirs and mine), not listening, and ugly comments to one another. My sis works evenings so I’m here alone with 5 kids ages 12-5. Some days are easier than others, where everyone mostly gets along, then there are the days where everyone is fighting one another and making someone cry. Today has been one of THOSE days. I got some news on my son today who will be 9 in 7 days, that he’s at the verge of being diagnosed with failure to thrive. He has severe ADHD and has to take meds to be able to focus in school. He’s smart as a whip, reading and math at 6th grade level (he’s in 3rd), and the meds keep help him slow down enough to focus on school work. That’s a wonderful plus! They also supress his appetite and cause a skin picking side effect, such a huge BAD side effect. My sis and I are both nurses and we know what to look for as far as side effects go with meds, and I missed the skin picking. I mean Ive known he’s been doing it and we’ve been treating it with therapy (he has a lot of issues at his young age), and I’ve spoke to his pediatrician about it and for the last 3 months we’ve all decided it’s due to anxiety from dealing with his issues…WRONG!! Saw his psychiatrist today and yep, side effect from ADHD mEds he’s on. Well that just makes ya feel like a failure, and ever since that meeting, I’ve been just riding myself for missing it. It happens, yes I know, but it’s so hard to not feel like I failed at that moment. Reading this, well it reinforces that tiny voice that says I didn’t fail. So thank you for that.

• Teasha Morris says:

I really needed this Thank you so MUCH!!

• Averie says:

Thanks so much! Totally needed this today, just in time too.

• Leesha Joseph says:

I really needed this today, I had a miscarriage lastnight. It was early days, but none the less, it was a much hoped for baby. At the end of the day, we find our hope in Jesus right? Tomorrow will be a better day and after reading this, it affirms my hopes for the future. Thanks again xox

• Becky Thompson says:

Leesha, I am so sorry for your loss. I am grieving with you. We keep our eyes on Jesus. We declare His goodness even in the midst of pain, and our praise becomes a weapon against grief. Praying that the Lord continues to wrap you in His arms.

• Leesha Joseph says:

You’re right, He is incredibly faithful and I know when the time is right, our little number 4, the final piece of our family puzzle will be complete. His ways are higher and I’m holding onto that today. Tomorrow is a new day and I’m eager to see what He has instore! Thankyou for your timely encouragements and speaking the truth of God’s love so obediently. You are a blessing to many, far beyond what your eyes can see xox

• Leesha says:

You’re so right, despite the apparent circumstance I am facing, God is good! I keep telling myself that He sees the bigger picture and that rather than showing me that, He will be a lamp unto my feet. One step at a time! And when the time is right, our fourth little bundle of awesome will join our family. Thank you for your constant gentle and sweet encouragement through your blog also, it is such a breath of fresh air and such a great reflection of the grace of God! xoxox

• Allison says:

Thank you for this! No, really, thank you. With an adult son trapped in a 4 1/2 year old’s body (some days he adults better than I do), a 3 year old that is (trying to) potty-training, and a 7 week old son that I just had to start taking to daycare so I can go back to work, this post really means a lot to me.

Most days, I find it challenging to raise 3 boys and clean and get food on the table. Going to work breaks my heart into a bazillion pieces because we are not in a position for me to stay home with my kids. Some days, I just feel like a failure, and wonder how on earth I’m going to raise my children.

But more and more days, my newborn smiles at me, my 3 year old goes to the potty by himself, and my 4 year old tells me he missed me today, and I know I must be doing something right.

This post certainly helps lift the spirits! Counting down the minutes where I get to pick my babies up from school and hug them tight!

• Joann Clemo says:

I just read this for the 3rd time today. Thank you.

• Jayne Wolff says:

It so nice to know there are other! I was not a baby lover, just because. Not once did I think being pregnant was awesome! Everyone asked are you going to do it again! A smart cousin told me “you have to take them home and fall in love with them first.” That was sooo ture for me! And I did. I enjoyed every stage of their precious little life’s more and more. My love grew more and more, so much that sometimes it hard to believe how much pain you feel when they don’t love you the same. But that’s ok. They probably never will however, they will always need you. And some day they will understand. Speaking from the heart, on both side!

• Cori says:

I read this article back when you originally posted it, and I loved it at the time. But today, I *needed* this article. I know these words and the peace that they bring truly come from God, but thank you for allowing Him to use you to make such a difference in so many mommas’ lives. We love you for it. 💗

• Sharie says:

I completely understand being a mama hanging on by a thread. Busy days can be so hard. But… Not being preachy…just to encourage…try to be grateful for those crazy days with your kids. Think of the alternatives we could be facing. What if we were unable to take care of them ourselves. I just went through a scary time and a pretty serious surgery. These were the fears in my heart. I can’t take care of them for awhile. What if my complications last even longer than we think. I’m just so very thankful to be back home, and even more, taking care of my 5 babies. Cherish each day!