Because Let’s Be Honest, You Do More Than They Realize

sno-cone-e1409928235919

“Mommy, when I grow up, I want to be just like Daddy.”

“Oh yeah? Which job do you want to have? Daddy does a lot of different things doesn’t he?”

“I want to be ALL of them! I want to be a welder-man, and a firefighter-man, and a construction-man, and a city council-man, and a regular daddy.”

“Those are all awesome things! And you can be all of them! What are some of the jobs that Mommy does?”

“Well, you cook for us. That’s important… And now you can feed the baby too!”

We pulled into the grocery store parking lot, and I couldn’t help but laugh at the irony of it. Yup. In the eyes of my oldest, I am in charge of food disbursement and apparently that is all.

I guess he is partially right. I am in charge of feeding – and with a newborn – it does seem like all that I do some days. Feed the baby. Make breakfast. Feed the baby. Make snacks. Feed the baby. Make lunch. Feed the baby. Make dinner. Feed the baby, feed the baby, feed the baby. Make breakfast. It is an endless cycle of food preparation.

But honestly, there are moments that it would be nice to be noticed for more than milk.

Amiright?

I mean, at least give me some credit for the laundry. Once, I asked my son, “Where do you think all of our clean clothes come from?”

His answer?

“From that big pile in your room, Momma.”

Point proven, son. I need to get better at folding and putting away clean clothes. But… who do you think sorted, washed, dried and make sure there were clean undies for your little booty before school today?

Yup. This lady. This lady who is mostly in charge of food prep.

And while we are at it, how did you GET to school this morning?

That’s right. Your personal chauffer. I run all the local and long-distance routes. I will be taking you to school, church, doctor’s appointments, soccer practice, the park, and anywhere else you might ever need to go.

It doesn’t need to be said that being a mom is often a thankless job. It is full of long days, longer nights and endless work. And while what we do may go unnoticed, it is still important. It is still purposeful.

Because we do more than they will ever see.

No, they won’t be able to see the hours that I spent holding them when they were sick, but mommy was there.

There will be no permanent markings next to the bathtub where I have spent hours getting splashed and soaked…

If they could only see the path that I have worn from my bedroom to theirs as I stumbled to check on them in the night and ran to them when they woke-up crying my name…

There will not be any physical markings from the hours I will spend praying for them and for their future careers, spouses, children…

And their foreheads won’t show where I kissed them after they fell asleep…

There are no indentations in the carpet around the couch from all the games of chase…

And there are no worn spots on the front porch where we have sat and enjoyed all of our popsicles…

But I have been there for all of it.

And Momma, while they might not ever say thank you for all of those moments, while it might be nice to be noticed for ALL that we do for them, their tiny arms around our necks at bedtime remind us that we don’t do it for the praise. We don’t do it for the pat on the back.

We do it for them. Because we love them… Just because we love them.

So, today, as you find yourself in another school pick-up line, or checking out with their favorite snacks at the grocery store, or reading their favorite book just one more time – remember this.

You are so loved, Momma. You are so important to them. They appreciate and love you more than they know to say right now. You are responsible for calming fears. You are responsible for wiping tears. And you are responsible for making their little worlds go round.

And if no one has said it in awhile – thank you for all that you do.

I try and stay in touch with my readers on a personal level through social media. Share this post to pass it on, and then click here to find me on Facebook.

Comments

• Arin says:

I love this :)

• Kelsey Bryant says:

Yesterday one of my foster boys thanked me for letting him call me mom. How special is that it’s such a hard job! Great read as always!

• Michelle says:

Love, love, love this! I needed to hear this today.

• garysgirl says:

Thank you for this! You speak to every mother with this post. I think we’ve all felt this way. But you’re so right-our job is so very important. It’s what maakes the world go ’round!

• Cassi says:

I always love your encouraging words! I know that I never fully understood all that my mom did for me – or how much she loved me – until I became a mom myself.

• Marnie Smith says:

Thank you Becky, for all you do!! I really needed to see this one today. I had a really tough night with my youngest daughter Gabby last night, and she (and I) only got 5 1/2 hours of sleep which is not like her because she’s almost 4. So thank you for that!! You gave me just enough strength and encouragement to get through the rest of the day.

God bless you Becky!!

Marnie

• Kay says:

Wow. Possibly the best post I’ve ever read on motherhood. I love it.
    You are such a good writer. I loved the “invisible things” part.
    LOL while I was writing this comment, one of my kids asked, “Mom, can I have something to eat?” :)

• Tiffany says:

I really needed to hear this today. Thank you :)

• Kristy says:

And I’m in tears (not for the first time over your words either). In a season where every day feels like the movie groundhog day, I needed this. Thank you.

• Alison says:

Thank you so much for this post! I could relate to all you said & most of all I appreciated you thanking me for all I do :-) xx

• Corinna says:

Thank you so much for sharing this. It touched a very special/server place in my heart.

• Jessica Kepple says:

Thank you! Thank you for noticing all I do and for being appreciative! About this time of year I start to feel really unappreciated for all the work I do for my family! With 5 kids 8 and younger, sometimes I feel like that’s all i do around here, feed people! Nurse the baby, feed the older 4, feed my husband, and if I’m lucky, feed myself something before snacks are being asked for and then it’s time for the next meal! Not to mention everything else that needs to be done as well….but it’s those times, like today, when my youngest boy comes over, wraps his arms around my leg and tells me “mom, I love you so much!” that just melts my heart and gives me enough energy to keep going to get the next thing done and makes it all worth it!! I love my family and that God has blessed us with all these wonderful children to take care of! I love that He is allowing me to stay home with them and raise them and teach them school! Thank you for writing this and reminding me that I’m not alone and that its all worth it! :-) God bless!

• Corinna says:

Becky – feel free to delete or not post my earlier comment! There’s a typo that I didn’t catch and it’s not any kind of groundbreaking comment :) thanks for running this blog! :)

• Denise says:

I just cried a little bit…because my babies are too small to say it and I needed to hear it. Thank you.

• Sharon says:

Thank you for sharing this. I’ve been a stay-home mom for 3 years now. Sometimes I can’t help but feel so emotionally drained. So much love always flowing out of me to my family, my children. And it feels like it’s a one-way flow most of the time. I do sometimes wonder if they realise how much I love them and are grateful for the things I have done for them. I also wonder if giving up my job 3 years ago actually made any difference in their lives. Reading your post brought tears to my eyes and reassured me that what I am doing really matters and that someday I will surely see the fruit of my labor of love.

• I love it when my son says “But if I clean, I will be too tired to play…” or similar. Exactly! And when MOMMY cleans all day, she is too tired to play. So you will help. And then we will play. They’ll never full get it now, but they will someday.

Oh, and p.s. you’re a great mom too :)