I Will Call You Loved

On Monday, Vanity Fair released the cover of their latest edition depicting a photograph of Bruce Jenner with a caption, “Call me Caitlyn.”

The internet is already buzzing as people weigh in on the article and everything that it means for our culture and society.

As I was scrolling through my newsfeed on Facebook, I came across a few of these articles. I also came across a few status updates concerning this topic.

And, honestly? I’m already concerned.

My own feelings about this particular topic set aside, I am concerned primarily about the discussion of this topic.

See, whenever subjects like these gain national media attention, and they are matters that bring debate and controversy among Christians, it seems as if everyone is just waiting for a Christian to use the “s” word.

You know the one… sinner.

It seems as if everyone is just waiting for us to have something… anything at all… to say on the topic so that they can remind us that we aren’t supposed to judge… because that is written in the Bible.

I can guarantee that there will be posts written, and there will be strong feelings shared, and there will be many who get upset on all sides of this matter.

While I’m not saying that these hard conversations should not take place, I am saying this…

Christians? This is our chance to get it right.

This is our chance to show love.

Now, before you read into what you think I am saying, and tell me that I need to stand my ground… that the Bible is clear about what is and isn’t acceptable…  that this isn’t the time to get soft on hard subjects… let me clarify something.

This post isn’t really even about Bruce Jenner at all… it is about us.

It is about our response.

It is about showing the world that just as the reputation of a wife reflects upon her husband, the reputation of the Church should accurately reflect Jesus…

And Jesus asks us to love one another.

That is the starting point.

I’m not saying that there can’t be more said. I’m not saying that there can’t be more done. I’m simply saying… that everything that we speak and do must first originate with authentic love.

Because Jesus loves the people on the covers of magazines just as much as He loves you and me, and the real scandal isn’t what others decide to do with their lives, but what Jesus did with His.

The real scandal worth discussing is that of a Gracious God who would come and die and live again so that He could make a way for broken sinners like us to be with Him while teaching everyone that redemption has so little to do with us and everything to do with Him.

And that isn’t just in the Bible. It is the summation of all of Scripture.

So, before the Internet gets going… before the whole world starts talking and there are harsh words and angry debates and Christians who look like we carry around pockets full of stones, let’s remember this:

No matter what the cover of a magazine tells us to call a person, first…

We must call one another Loved.

Share this post to pass it on, and then come find me on Facebook! I try and stay in touch with my readers on a personal level through social media!

CLICK TO GET MY EXCLUSIVE EMAILS

Comments

• Dawn Webb says:

Well said Becky!
    Jesus replied: “’Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ [a] 38. This is the first and greatest commandment. 39. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

• Beck says:

I have been curious about this story, but hesitant to click on any of the other articles I came across. I was so relieved to see that you were weighing in, and it couldn’t have been a more perfect angle. Thanks.

• Jenny Irwin says:

Hate the sin, love the sinner

• Erin says:

Thank you! I always say how I can’t understand the Christians who are down right hateful to others. Jesus taught us to love not to hate. We need to be that example of love and light in this world.

• Laura says:

This is wonderful, thank you!

• karra says:

SO well stated, Becky!! I couldn’t agree more. There are so many things to be said about this, but to love as He loved us is what is most important. Beautifully stated.

• Jane says:

Once again, you got me right in the gut with the truth. Your approach and words are just as we are instructed in the scriptures and I pray that all who read them will take them to heart. Jesus gave His life on the cross as the ultimate act of love, grace and mercy – for each and every single one of us. Yes, God loves even the person at the center of this media frenzy and would have sent His only Son for even that one. How great is that LOVE!

• Juggokase says:

When something this taboo gets mainstream media play or brought to our attention, we Christians LOVE to judge others of these types of flamboyant sins. What I LOVE the most is that it those of us with even darker sins in our closests that jump out front to lead the charge and are the loudest of the group. When honestly this is none of our business. This is between Bruce/Caitlyn, his family, & God. I know that I’m not like most Christians; I actually sin and fall short of the mark a great deal. And I have no position to point out the spec of dirt in another’s eye, when I KNOW I have logs in mine. I don’t agree with the way Bruce/Caitlyn is going about this, but again that is why my name is Justin and not God.

• Cherry says:

A statement that I find myself quoting and reminding myself a lot is this:

Truth without love is brutal,
    Love without truth is hypocrisy.

So for the next week we will read dozens of status updates and blogs on how to love each other and how to fight it out in a christian way and don’t judge and don’t condemn and don’t and don’t and don’t. And you know what, when you insert this drama into the big picture, Im talking the eternal picture, it sure doesn’t mean very much does it? This is such a short short journey. Such a poof of air in comparison to our eternity. What am I going to consume my time, energy, emotions and thoughts on? I hope the majority of it is how much Jesus loves me, and how much grace He gives me every minute. And I hope that I have learned by the end of it, how to let Him live His life through me. Its not my life, it’s His. I don’t have to do because I fall short every time. I get to let Him do it through me. And I will spend the rest of my life perfecting how to let go and let Him.

• Melody says:

Those without sin….cast the first stones….Jesus was right on when we made this statement. We all need Jesus.

• Annie Dill says:

Becky, I continue to be impressed by your insight at your age.

• Brittany says:

Amen! You nailed it on the head!

• Jen says:

Well said. Thank you for all you say it always hits the nail on the head so to speak.

• Deidre says:

Couldnt have said it better!!!!

• Brittany says:

Wonderful article. Thank you for writing it! I’m not all that familiar with the particular person you’ve mentioned, but loving people in general is a topic God’s been dealing with me a lot on lately. And I’ve come to believe it’s possibly the the most difficult commandment God ever gave. It is SO much easier to judge! Perhaps that’s why Jesus also called loving others the greatest commandment after loving God Himself?? (Mark 12:29-31) Also wanted to say that any Christian who wonders what God says about love should read 1 John, especially chapter 4. Thank you for addressing this difficult topic with such grace.

• Alethea says:

This is spot on: “Love God, love others.” That’s all Jesus asked His followers to do.

• Kimberly says:

I’m guessing if we sat down together, you and I might disagree as to the subject matter, but I think your response is perfect and so timely and beautiful and a great reminder to how we have to have this discussion, and I had to comment to tell you so.

• Jeanenne says:

LOVED the article. You said it so perfectly. All I could think of at first, when Bruce Jenner came out, was this, “WOW, I cannot imagine living my whole life as a lie and now, SHE is finally free!” I am a Christian, I hope to live my life as a great Christian, but know I fall short of the glory of God. SO, my point is this, WHO am I to judge?

I can only imagine how HAPPY Bruce/Caitlyn is now. No more lies and hopefully for her, only happiness.

• Jeff says:

Love one another. Well written post Becky.

• Melissa says:

Love this. Hope you don’t mind, I shared it on my blog.

• Ashlin says:

This is beautiful and full of grace and love. Thank you for writing this.

• Jessica says:

Becky, I thoroughly love and enjoy each one of your posts. You are incredibly strong and transparent, and you are such an encouragement in a world full of darkness. Keep it up!

• Oh I love this. Jesus loved him and he still loves her. He loves her as she is, and that is all I need to remember. I love because HE first loved me.

• Alyssa says:

Thanks for this post! Someone needed to say it!

• Holly Loube says:

I love the angle you took. So true, Jesus it the whole point.

• Eric says:

Incredibly well written.

• Annie Mae says:

Thank you so much! I was bothered by how Christians weren’t engaging with this and you opened the door for me to share with friends the reminder that we are not afraid! Not afraid to love! Not afraid to engage and interact with the world around us. Thank you for your strength and encouragement!

• Tammy Bishop says:

I am in love with this post! This is the core of it all! If we would start showing people love think of what could change! LOVE is what drove Christ to the cross. LOVE is what changes people. Not condemnation or judgement. LOVE.

Thank you for such a beautiful post and perspective!

• Andrea says:

This is amazing! So well said.

• Karly says:

Thank you for saying what I’ve been wanting to articulate. I have mixed feelings about transgender people; I don’t fully understand it, and so I feel I am not in the best place to judge. But I know I sympathize with them. I know body dysmorphia of any description is a living hell and I know it must be terrible to always feel like you are the wrong person. Beyond that, I don’t know what else to say. I am on the fence, well and truly. Thank you for saying that, fence or no, it doesn’t matter as long as I call them Loved.

• Jens says:

Love love LOVE! Thank you for writing this.

• Bridgett says:

I loved this article and I feel compassion for anyone that feel lost in there lives. They are lost because they don’t know Jesus as their savior. We are not here to judge or to agree with other people lifestyle. We are called to love. Love cover a multitude of sin. I love this article. Thank You!!!

• Caroline says:

very well said! I agree completely with you!

• Emily says:

I wrote a blog post along the same lines, but I must say that you said it much better than I did. I need to learn how to share Christian values and beliefs without ruffling so many feathers, or will we ever be able to spread Christianity without opposition?

• Courtney says:

This post just makes me happy and thankful. Beautifully said.

• Marie says:

Thank you, that was most graciously put, and the best response I have seen.

• Allison says:

…”and the real scandal isn’t what others decide to do with their lives, but what Jesus did with His” yes! Love this!’

• Gena says:

AMEN!!!!

• gina knight says:

Well said. No sin is worse than another. Judging someone for their “sin” is also a sin…and all sins were created equal.

• heather says:

What a fantastic post. Thank you.

• Finally a voice of reason among my fellow believers! Well said, Becky! The Church has too many issues of our own to deal with without taking on something like this! My heart has been broken over the comments and jokes I see. May God help us love Bruce/Caitlyn as He has loved us. I often wonder how some of these folks would respond if this was their family member.

• Corky Jordan says:

They give the impression that they love the sinner but not the sin, leaving transgender people with the knowledge though not spoken we live in sin and if we come to love the Lord we will change. I have to believe God made me this way I just didn’t wakeup as a toddler and decide that being a girl would be cool!

• Thanks for sharing this ~ well said!

• Mary says:

Amen! Can someone explain to me why, dressing like a woman is bad or having a boob job is bad? Thank you for the Grace of bringing these words to our world!

• name withheld for security purposes says:

While your premise is very correct and sound, (love the sinner hate the sin), what angers me is that the lame stream media and the guy sitting in the white house are all praising Bruce as a “hero” yet just yesterday I read and article buried in the back pages about a woman who was fire from her job as lunch room manager because she refused to watch children go hungry at her school and paid for their lunch out of her own pocket… OR the story of a young woman who never had a family was in foster care until she 18 and forced out on her own going on craigslist to “rent” a family so she could have people to celebrate her birthday with…. these people are who the media should be holding up, NOT a confused lost man who may or may not be doing this for reasons of ego.

• Kristin says:

This is everything that I was trying to formulate into words!!! Thank you. Grace upon grace.

• Kami says:

Phenomenal and spot on. thank you for addressing this tricky subject!

• Lauren says:

Beautiful post, Becky! I loved everything you wrote and could not agree more <3

• Amber says:

This is perfectly written and I couldn’t have said it better myself. I have been looking for the perfect thing to post on this subject. This is it. Thank you!

• Allie Schwenn says:

This is without a doubt the most well written, accurate response to this topic I’ll read. A-freaking-men! Thank you for putting this out there.

• Shirley says:

I’ve read several Christian blogger posts and really haven’t seen any that didn’t express the proper Christian concern. Most are suggesting that it is Bruce Jenner who is being exploited and that is a tragedy. Even the Wall Street Journal has posted that Johns Hopkins Medical Center, the first to do gender change surgery, refuses to do them after seeing the devastating results. I am truly sad for Bruce Jenner as I believe most Christians are. Let’s don’t jump on Bruce Jenner or on fellow Christians.

• Meg says:

Your article gives me so much hope. What a beautiful statement of what morality and grace is all about. As a religious person, I hope that my fellow community members see this article and follow your example.

• Pam Clemons says:

I agree that we need to love these people because we are commanded to do so, but to love someone does not mean that we agree with everything that they do. We love our children, but we don’t allow them to play in the street just because they want to. Jesus loved all people, but He did not hesitate to throw the money changers out of the Temple with some very forceful language. And never once did He tell a sinner that it was OK to continue in their sin. He said to the woman caught in adultery, “Go and sin no more.” Our first act of love needs to be to pray for these poor misguided souls the same prayer that Christ prayed from the cross, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.”

• Ellie Hisey says:

Thank you for this. I couldn’t have expressed it better.

• Amy says:

I totally respect Bruce decision of trying be happy. We are no one to judge. I respect him for the person he is not for his gender. It’s a shock at first but he like any of us deserve to be happy. Buy the way his is beautiful. Congrats Caitlyn for your strength and courage.

• Ashley says:

beautiful article! Thank you for the reminder!

• dana says:

The trouble is that these days, if you voice a differing opinion to someone’s beliefs or actions you’re labeled a “hater” and that you’re (insert a word)-phobic. Some people only want to hear your opinion if you agree with all that they believe; otherwise they don’t think you have the right to open your mouth. You CAN love on people without agreeing with their every choice and desire and action. It’s love for Bruce Jenner that causes people to pray for him to change this course he’s been on. It’s not love to say he’s brave or that he’s a hero. A whole lot of people believe he IS and it’s amazing how a relatively small amount of people in the media are attempting to make it seem that Bruce Jenner should be congratulated. If I knew him personally very well I’m sure I’d still love him though I wouldn’t let him think that I approved. He doesn’t ‘need’ my approval or disapproval but if I were a true friend or relative I (hope) that I could be honest with him. He says HE’S finally being honest about who he truly is so why can’t I? After all, it’s love that caused Jesus to die for us while we (ALL) were and would in future be sinners. Love. But no one wants to hear that “s-word” because no one wants to be told no or that there ARE definite rights and wrongs. Bruce Jenner was created in love by God; I can love him, too. I cannot applaud him or encourage his decision(s). They are HIS decisions to make, though.

• Liz says:

I love this! I absolutely agree that we should love in this situation. My only hesitation is Christians can say anything about this situation in a loving way, but as long as you are sticking up for anything biblical or “against equality” you are automatically deemed hateful and close minded. I absolutely agree that you should be as loving as possible, continue to be a light in the truth of Christ Jesus! God bless you Becky and thank you for writing this!

• Joanna says:

So beautifully written & a great reminder! Thank you so much for sharing!

• Jon says:

This is exactly the discussion I was having with a friend when the cover story came out. She was shared a blog from a Christian girl that was filled with so much judgement that is borderline bullying, “in the name of God”…I was mentioning to her that we are so good at saying “Only God can judge…but here’s what I have to say” and pass our judgement anyway haha. It was disheartening to read some of those blogs or posts, in which God’s wrath and punishment is the emphasis and we forget that his biggest attirbute is love. Like you said, there is more that could be said, but just because we can doesn’t mean we should. We will reflect his love and compassion by praying and showing it to those who need it. that is what we should do. Reading this post was a definite breath of fresh air, and it’s awesome to know that amongst all the criticism, judgement and hate, there are those who understand what being a Christian really means…just beautiful.

• I was raised with this instruction by my grandma. We are to hate the sin, not the sinner. Christ restores the broken. It is the devil who condemns. Although it makes my heart break to see the pictures and sense the brokenness I know that God saw this coming and He knows the end from the beginning. It’s all up to Him. We do the praying. He does the healing. Amen?

• Theophilus says:

in the end the Holy Spirit will convict men and women of sin. Jesus called on us to make known the Gospel of Salvation to all. Is it my job to ‘poke the bear’ and back pele into a corner by calling them out on their particular sin? I think that time would be better spent on our knees and in the Word committing our minds and spirits to those amazing grace moments when God brings a person to us, battered by sin, to lead to the Kingdom.

• Gary says:

I’m with you, Becky. So…..HERE’S THE BIG QUESTION for all of those who consider themselves more holy and/or more righteous than someone struggling with issues like “Caitlyn”. Which of our actions pass the test of the Cross and which ones don’t??

Perhaps you’re NOT engaged in adultery, homosexuality, or any blatantly visual “sin”. Maybe instead, your issues are the more secretive, more “acceptable” ones, like those of the Pharisees….yeah, you know, those inward sins of the heart that we ALL struggle with and are frequently guilty of, but the ones we dare NOT let most people see in fear that they would tarnish our self-righteous image.

We so easily forget that it was the judgmental, religious, holier-than-thou people that Jesus harshly and openly rebuked…not the adulteresses, not the lepers, not the prostitutes, not the outcast, not the destitute. Rather, these are the ones HE WENT TO MINISTER TO. Why??? Because they, like we, needed (and still need) to know the true love of God, not the finger wagging of man. Was He giving them a license to sin??? OF COURSE NOT!!! But he DID give us example after example in the scriptures of the proper way to love the lost and those (even believers) struggling to overcome their own personal demons & addictions.

He loves and accepts us just as we are…INCLUDING transgenders. Oh, my…did I just say that??? Yep! Maybe because it’s when we come to the end of ourselves and to that place of surrender to Him, that we realize He was there all the time…to forgive, to heal, to restore…regardless of our broken condition. That’s why it’s called The Good News!!

So, fellow Christian, if you consider yourself above sin, above shortcomings, above fault, above failure, then by all means, be the first to cast that sinless stone. Otherwise, perhaps it’s time to get in line with the rest of us and seriously consider the conduct of Jesus…better yet, embrace HIS message of grace. I think He knew what He was doing…

• Emily says:

Amen! Thank you so much for sharing. I stumbled across this blog a few times, and overtime I have, your words have truly touched me. I just witnessed a “Facebook fight” online over this issues, between christians and those who don’t claim to have any religion and it was heartbreaking to read some of the things that my brothers and sisters in Christ were saying to these non-christians. I am so happy you touched upon this subject on how we as christians need to react. Thank you!

• Barbara says:

Very thought provoking. We are to love the sinner and hate the sin. For myself, I hate that this sort of thing is all over the media. We have failed, in many ways. Love also shows how to carry the crosses we are given with dignity and humility, not to shuck it off and follow the world or the adversary.

• Kim says:

Bravo. Let’s put the “Christ” back in “Christian.”

• Kirsten Demars says:

Just found your post. This is a topic I have struggled with lately but your message gives me a perspective of peace. Thank you!

• Don says:

The way I would love Bruce would be to share my testimony, and then share how repentance and faith in Chist’s blood alone will save a sinner, or wretch from his sins.
    There is no forgiveness without Christ, BUT there is forgiveness in Jesus and that is the Gospel or good news for us.

• Carol Harris says:

Thank you for writing this. I’m a hospice RN, hospice volunteer, moderator of an online cancer support forum. I’ve got 5 kids and 4 grandchildren, and I’m on my third marriage. There’s no gender confusion, cross-dressing, etc here. I was raised Catholic and I taught “Sunday School” (CCD) for several years. I’m no longer a member of any organized religion because of the intolerance, condemnation, and hate that I hear every day from too many “people of faith”. Please, please, please listen to what Becky has said. Don’t turn your back on those who need help and support.
    Carol

• Amanda says:

And all His people say “amen.” <3

• Evelynn Rizzo says:

For each who reminds us the Bible tells us to love .. I’m curious .. If Bruce Jenner were your personal friend, how would u demonstrate this love to him, in light of his recent announcements?

• […] first heard of her when I came across this fabulous post with a refreshing and biblical take on the news frenzy about Bruce turned Caitlyn Jenner. From […]