Dear Kids’ Church Worker

Dear Kids’ Church Worker –

You fed them donuts didn’t you? The left over ones from the lobby? Or maybe they were animal crackers or goldfish. Maybe those circle vanilla wafers?? Whatever their snack was… they sure loved it. Because let’s be honest they aren’t too interested in lunch now. But it’s okay. Really. I totally don’t blame you. I have been around my kids – especially when they are hungry. I understand. Feed them.

church-worker

They said they had a great time today. They were able to tell me a little about the lesson. They said something about a fire and some guys and Jesus being with them. They said the guys didn’t get burned up because Jesus was with them. And really – right now, I’m not sure there is a more appropriate message. Cuz that fire… well, it’s everywhere. But now because of you, my sweet kids know that if Jesus was with those guys in the fire – He will be with them too. It was something I needed to hear too.

But you know, no matter what lesson they learned this morning – you taught them something else… just by being there. And I just wanted to take a minute to say, “Thank you.” This morning, you taught a room full of precious hearts that you care. You taught them that there are safe people in this world who love Jesus too. You taught them that Church is a place where they can be loved. You showed them God.

I know that pastor went a little over time this morning. I have been downstairs in the nursery a time or two myself so when pastor said, “Let me just say this, and then I will close” at five after 12, I thought of you. I thought of how you were probably playing clean up, or find your shoes, or changing the last of the diapers, or organizing all of the coloring pages that would go home today. I am sure as minutes ticked by you kept thinking, Any minute parents will show up to take these hungry, tired, ready-for-a-nap, kiddos home. That’s probably when you pulled out the extra snacks. That’s what I would have done.

But even though it was a few minutes longer than usual, you did it. You made it work. You didn’t lose your patience or your cool or your mind. You just kept loving those kids, knowing that for some of them it will be the most love they receive all week. What a wonderful thing you do.

I know that some weeks, you would probably rather just not show up. You would probably rather be with the adults or in regular service. I know that some weeks, this ministry might not be your very favorite… but just in case you haven’t been told in a while… at least by me…

Thank you.

Thank you for feeding my kids goldfish and the love of Jesus, so that I have the chance to be fed in church as well. Thank you for your ministry that doesn’t just touch the heart of my children, but touches every family that comes to our Church. Thank you for giving your time. Thank you for giving your love.

When it seems like your service goes unnoticed – I just want to tell you that it does not. We see the work that you are doing – and we honor it.

Because it is more than donuts and daycare. It’s the opportunity to impact destinies. And this Momma is so very grateful for all that you do.

with-love-becky

What about you? Do you know a children’s church worker that you want to thank too? Don’t forget to share this with them.

Click here to join the community of thousands of grace-filled women who seek the Father’s heart and the opportunity to encourage one another over on Facebook. I can’t wait to get to know you!

Comments

• Jos Keathley says:

Thank you for this. On this day, in this moment, I needed to read this. <3

keathleychronicles.blogspot.com

• Melanie says:

Thank you for your sweet and kind words. I just began teaching a fifth grade Sunday School class beginning in September and they are a tough age. One reason is because they have all been in church their whole life and know all the stories by heart which makes it harder to get them interested in what I say. But I have found that even when I think they aren’t listening they surprise me by answering a question that I ask. I hope they enjoy being in Sunday school with me as much as I enjoy teaching them..Sometimes I learn things because they have a different way of looking at things. And yes I gave mine donuts and orange juice today. What can I say, I am not only a teacher but a grandmother too and that is what we do.

• Crystal says:

I want to throw this back and thank the parents for bringing their children. It shows great love of their children and for Christ to get up on the weekends when lazy Sundays and sleeping in has become the norm. I want these sweet littles to bring their friends and pack our rooms so we run out of chairs, and have to search for snacks because we didn’t foresee the number of children walking through the doors. I absolutely love to see these children worshiping Jesus!

• Leah says:

Isn’t it wonderful how God speaks to us, showing us His love, when we need it most?! :)

• Teri P. says:

Thank you so much for this. I have been coordinating and teaching our children’s class for 12 years. Seldom does anyone thank me or the few volunteers for our ministry (other than the pastor). Some days are hard. Some days I would like to be sitting in the sanctuary drinking coffee and listening to the pastor’s sermon. But I love each and every one of the kids that come through my door. Some days they do get the message, and ask deep questions. Some days it does fall apart and we just go to the playground. Some days, a child asks to receive Jesus as their personal Savior. I don’t expect “thank you’s”, but it is nice to hear. My reward will come in Heaven <3

• Brandon says:

Thanks for sharing! It is very encouraging.

• Susanne Dusing says:

Your welcome even though I just help in the toddler room. Those kids are like little rays of the sun, shining brighter and brighter ever day. It also does help that they’re so darn cute.

• Ali lewis says:

Someone shared this with me today and I definitely needed to hear it. I was called to teach nursery when my boy turned 12 months and I thought it must be a joke to call an already tired mama to that calling with no break for her self or Sunday spiritual lift. But I love it. I wouldn’t trade it for anything right now. I am learning to see Christ in different ways. See him through the kids eyes. Thank you for this.

• Emily says:

God called me to work in the nursery when my son was 13 months! I work with the 3-4 year olds, 5 times a week and lead them in our large group time. This Christmas celebrates my 9th year.

When God calls you, even if it’s something that seems like a thankless job, it’s the most rewarding experience. This is how I worship God.

• Bev says:

Wow! Well put and you are very welcome. My Pastor’s Wife shared this with us this evening and I know your words were her’s too. I love teaching our kids and love the people who are in it with me. It’s a great fulfillment to know our littles are learning that Jesus loves them. Thank you for your thanks!

• Marie says:

Thank YOU! I have to say, though, that I don’t volunteer week after week just because I would even want to be noticed, I do it, because I love doing it. The toddlers that I’ve gotten to know are a part of my heart and I am honored to be entrusted with them for a couple of hours each week. Knowing that their parents are getting a “refill of Jesus” while I’m on the floor playing with their little ones is a bonus. But thank you so much for noticing! :-)

• Sharon VB says:

Thank you for sharing that, I was a teacher, for Sunday School (pre-school) for more then 25 years. Only one day off a year. Many burn out, but I keep going, because the kids needed me, many parents were very ungrateful. The great joy I had to watch them enjoy the lesson when the come alive to them. The story they told I still remember many of them today. The greatest joy is to see them walking with Jesus today. Maybe the parents were ungrateful, but my heart is over flowing to see them in church, or going to Bible study. JESUS LOVES YOU ALL

• melissa cook says:

yes. Beautiful. Thank you.

• Ines Pruett says:

Dear Becky,
    Thank you so much for your words of appreciation and encouragement.
    I enjoy the opportunity my Church has given me to serve as a Toddler (two year old) teacher for several years.
    May the Lord Jesus be honored and glorified!

• Christy says:

I shared this post with fellow Sunday School teachers and friends. A message many of us needed to hear. Thank you.

• Amanda Saxton says:

I just recently started my first Sunday school class at our church! They needed someone to fill that position and I was so happy and honored to be able to do it for them! I love my small class and am so excited to see my kids piling in Sunday morning! It isn’t a job I take lightly and with God’s love and wisdom I hope I do all things God wants me to do! Thank you for this post!

• Brenda Underwood says:

Thank you for this message. Just this past weekend I was feeling a little down… preparing for children’s church with preschoolers and the music for the upcoming Christmas program after having taught all week long, I was thinking Why?…. but I know why…. Jesus loves children… Jesus loves me… and I love kids too and want to share this most precious gift of His love with them.

• Becci says:

One of the mums from my church sent me the link to this post saying that she could not have written it herself, and I read it over and over again with tears streaming down my face. I’ve been in children’s ministry almost every single Sunday for 14 years, and this is the first time I have ever read or heard anything as heartfelt as this. Thank-you for thanking us. We all love those kids, and count it an honour to invest in them- but it’s great to be thanked once in awhile!

• Roberta Quintana says:

Wow thank you so much when reading this it filled my heart with joy I’ve been in children’s ministry since early 2012 and it made me feel so good and filled my heart with joy because that’s exactly what happens on Sunday mornings with the donuts and the snacks the whole story was replaying in my mind because that’s exactly what happened and I giggled to myself because it’s such a joy to teach and there’s nothing more precious than to see the small pure hearts praising and worshiping Jesus Christ together along with VBS in the summer it’s definitely a calling and a blessing to serve Christ after all the children are our future and a blessed life is definitely marked by ministry many blessings Roberta

• Demetrice says:

Becky,
    Thanks for this encouging post. I’m one of the many church workers working in the nursery. Feeding kiddies goldfish and making the most of our time with those precious little ones. Thanks to my team member Lena for sharing this with us all on our Facebook page.

• Jammye says:

This was wonderful. It is true that we think of how much we love to love on those children and just SHOW them the love of Christ. We want to be the one they run to when the door opens to our classroom. But…there are moments of weakness, when we want to say “this is NOT for me”, or “why am I REALLY here?”. God put special people in this area and leads them to love HIS MOST PRECIOUS. Remember, that Jesus stopped speaking to the adults so he could simply HOLD the children and talk “with” not to the. He tells us that the CHILDREN are whom will inherit the earth, the CHILDREN are where the future is, the CHILDREN are HIS most precious jewels. May God Bless each Children’s Ministry worker, employer, and volunteers!

• Dawn Desrosiers says:

Well said. Thank you for the kind words.

• Cyndi Baker says:

Thank you for the thank you! Some parents barely notice us. Some parents could care less because of whatever reason and we all know there’s a million of them. But I don’t do it for the parents. I do it for the kids. I do it for the ones who hate me because they have walls up. I do it for the ones who just want someone to listen to them. I do it for the ones who just want to color together. I do it because I get to watch the turnaround. I get to see the walls crumble. I get special handmade presents. And often I get hugs around my neck because I’ve made a difference to them even if their parents never notice. It’s pretty special to be able to do that! Thank you again for your note to us. It blesses me more than you could know!!!

• Gina Davis says:

Thank you for the reminder to thank those who serve around us. Another encouraging post.

• Candy Lartigue says:

Would love to receive your blog post. Great article “Dear Kids Church workers”

• Gina calvert says:

Many years ago, I was invited to a women’s group study. I wasn’t terribly interested in the topic but I went because they had childcare. It was the only break I got from my two toddlers every week. The topic turned out to be life changing and, a few years later, birthed a book. After it was published, I gave a talk about the new name Jesus will give us and how it will surprise us. My example was those precious childcare workers who will wonder why their new name includes being an author or midwife, when all they thought they were doing was “childcare”. You never know the ripple effect on not only the kids, but the parents. Thank you!

• Violet Jones says:

Such a nice, thoughtful note from you. Thank You.

• Leeann says:

Thank you. I have spent most of the last 8 years volunteering in various ways with the children’s programs at my church. Sometimes it does get to be tiring. There are also times of great breakthrough with the kids which help keep me going.

And letters like this from parents. Even if you don’t go to the same church. You get it.

• Lisa P says:

Thanks for this! I serve with the 2 year olds and there are many days that I wonder if I make a difference. This is so encouraging!

• Joan Graves says:

I have been teaching Sunday school (ages 3-6) for 17 years now and I can’t thank you enough for this. Some days you just feel like not doing it anymore but then you realize that it’s God’s calling on your life and you just keep on going. I have learned so much from these kids over the years and thank you again. The Lord gas blessed me so much for doing His work…so glad He chose me to teach his children. God bless you my friend!!