I Don’t Think I Can Do This

I don't think I can

She was on the other side of the wall in the next room. I couldn’t hear what the nurses were saying or her husband or friends. I couldn’t hear what words her family might have spoken to assure her. I couldn’t hear the calm words of the doctor or the likely beeping of the baby heartrate monitor. But as if she was directly next to me, I heard her scream…

I don’t think I can do this!

I lay my head back against my own cool hospital pillow trying to remain calm as I waited for the medicine to quiet my own steady contractions. At just 30 weeks, my youngest was just not quite ready to arrive – even though my body was convinced otherwise.

Alone in my own room, I prayed for her – the woman on the other side of the hospital wall.

Lord, help her.

But even as I spoke, I knew that He had already answered me. I knew that He was with the woman in the next room, because He knows…

We can’t do motherhood without Him. None of it.

We can try. Lord knows sometimes we try. We can give our best, and we love our best, and we can be our best, and sometimes there are moments where we still feel like we come up short.

There are still really hard moments where we are faced with impossible circumstances – circumstances that cause us to cry out again and again, “I don’t think I can do this!!”

I don’t think I can do this – says the pregnant woman in labor.

I don’t think I can do this – says the woman giving her child up for adoption.

I don’t think I can do this – says the woman leaving her baby as she goes back to work.

I don’t think I can do this – says the mom of the defiant toddler, or preschooler, or teenager.

I don’t think I can do this – says the mom who watches her baby drive off for the first time without her.

I don’t think I can do this – says the mom who helps her baby send off college applications.

I don’t think I can do this – says the mom who moves her daughter into her first apartment.

I don’t think I can do this – says the momma who gives her son to his new bride.
And yet through each of these moments, the Lord walks beside us and whispers a steady, “But I can.” It is when we let His can help our can’t that we realize it was never up to us to do it on our own.

It wasn’t even an hour later that I heard the baby cry. A nurse or relative or someone had opened the door letting that precious sound escape and echo down the hallway.

And I thought of the momma.

She did it.

And I suppose that’s the hope that is available for all of us.

Just when we thought we couldn’t, just when we were sure that there was no way we ever could, we discover that we had it in us all along. Because we have Him.

I don’t know what can’t you’re facing, but whatever it is, remember this with me. Each can’t you overcome becomes a sentence in your heart that tells the story, “She did.” And just when you are sure that you can’t handle it… that it’s too big for you… that it’s too impossible or you’re not strong enough or equipped to face it… Remember that you were never designed to do it alone.

Deep breath, sister. Now push. You can do this.

I’d love a chance to continue to encourage you. Find out more here. HopeUnfolding_3d

Comments

• Ashley says:

Love this! Pregnant with my 2nd, feeling so overwhelmed and tired. This is beautiful and so true! Thank you Lord.

• chelsey says:

Words can’t express how grateful I am that this post was the first in my feed. With midterms in heavy swing, two toddlers, and my husband away on a work trip for a few months (military spouse), I have been struggling to juggle it all. Just when I thought I couldn’t get it all done, I read this. THANK YOU <3

• Emily says:

Hi Becky,

This was such a sweet and motivational post. My husband and I are currently trying to conceive for the first time, and I often find myself imaging the process: pregnancy, being a mother, and the thought creeps into my mind, “I don’t think I can do this.” This post not only helped me to find bravery, but also hope. Hope for the plans He has for me and my (hopefully) growing family.

Thank you for your words and wisdom from Him. Because you are so right, we try to do things on our own, but at the end of the day if we remember that He is with us, guiding us, carrying us on this journey, we CAN do this!

-Emily, from Tampa, FL

• Diana Butterfield says:

Having stood in painful heartbreaking experiences with my husband and three of my five children I uttered these words many many times.I did not do it on my own.They did not do it on their own but we made it through.There is no doubt in my mind that as we call out in agony and pain we are heard.The pain becomes bearable as He lifts our burdens with his all encompassing love.

• Leah says:

Thank you for a beautiful reminder. Faith in God’s work is never easy in the moment, but He always gives us what is needed to make it through the tears and trials. Even mamma’s need God’s tender grace and everlasting strength.

• Karen Westervelt says:

I unexpectedly lost my husband of 48 years in December, the words I don’t think I can do this have been uttered by me repeatedly. Thank you for this, maybe I can do this.

• Margaret Wolfinbarger says:

This reminds me that His grace is sufficient for me because His power is made perfect in my weakness. What an excellent truth. I love that his love fuses his power and might to our souls and gives us the strength to push –especially when we most think we cannot. Thank you for sharing words that give us all courage to persevere. http://www.destinationdiscipline.com

• Michelle says:

Thank you for this! I’m a second time mommy in 13 years to a very testy, but very precious 6 week old.
    I’m very sleep deprived but I just pray, cry a little and keep chugging along. And I know without a showed ow if a doubt I couldn’t, and haven’t done it this far without His presence. Thank you again. I will be getting this book! ❤️

• Amanda says:

Wow, such an inspiring article!

• Audery Dennis says:

Thanks for this eye opening information. You are so right. God is always there to see you through. He will never put anything on you if he thought you couldn’t handle it.

• Connie says:

My mother and my brother, my only sibling, were diagnosed with cancer just weeks apart the summer of 2014. Months of chemo and hope and then let downs….my brother passed away January 11, 8 days before he would have turned 60. At our Chemo Tuesday yesterday Mom was told her cancer is growing and a new chemo is necessary. This one will be rough….5 hours and then take home a drip for 48 hrs. My only comfort…David is in Heaven and I know Mom will go there in time. I have God….but I don’t know if I have strength. Watched War Room….cleaned out a closet…now have my own.

• Anna says:

As an L&D nurse, I can relate to what you’re saying. And having had two boys of my own, and pregnant with the 3rd, there were many times I’ve said or thought those words and the future is uncertain to me and exciting, scary all at once. But I am encouraged by your words and the reminder that we do not walk this journey alone but are held by The Father and have a community of other believers ready to help and who have gone on to do things thought impossible before me. Blessings!

• Kate says:

10 minutes into the anniversary of the birth and death of my first daughter, this popped into my feed. I just said to a friend, “I just can’t understand God’s cruelty” and she replied with very similar words to this and told me she knows that he cries with us and helps us through every thing we think we can’t do.
    “I don’t think I can do this!” – says the mom giving her lifeless baby back to the nurse, never to hold her again.

• Sabrina says:

I am reading this at 2:31am with tears in my eyes after feeding the very baby you heard cry that day. I was the woman in the other room screaming. For the last week I have wondered who heard me screaming and how it impacted them on that day. Now I know, and I am thankful. I’m thankful for your prayers and those of my loved ones to get through the hardest day of my life. I am thankful for the comfort of my husband and mother and their encouraging words unheard over my screams. I am thankful for an awesome God who has given me a perfectly healthy preemie and who gave me peace during the scary and uncertain days that are now behind us. Most of all, I am thankful that not only did the Lord and my family help me do what seemed impossible at the time but that they will continue to help me do the impossible things everyday of my precious son’s life. Thanks again sister in Christ!

• Sage says:

I just had to thank you for posting this article. I cannot tell you how close to my heart this hit. I recently gave birth to my beautiful baby girl, after 36 hours of labor, and I know without a shadow of a doubt that it was God who got me through. It was his strength, not mine, and I don’t think I’ve ever been so humbled or in awe in my entire life. And even though I tremble at the thought of doing it all again, I know that it is through God that I will be able to. Thank you.

• Clyta Harris, PhD says:

After a 3-day labor with my first child, I thought, “He’ll just have to be an only child.” I didn’t believe I could ever do that again. The very next morning, I picked up my Bible to read and pray. I had read the Bible through more than one time, so I know I had seen this verse before; but I didn’t remember it. I believe God opened my eyes to it exactly when I needed it. “A woman, when she is in travail, [labor] hath sorrow because her hour is come; but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the pain for joy that a man [child] has been born into the world.” John 16:21 Two years later I gave birth to another boy, a breach birth with no medication. He was born within six hours. Five years later, my first daughter took only four hours to make her appearance. Finally, two years after that, I gave birth to my baby girl after a two-hour labor. God not only showed me that He was in command of my first labor and delivery, but that He also would relieve the fear of childbirth three more times. That was a long time ago–46, 44, 39, and 37 years ago, but God is the same. He NEVER changes!

• Chelsea says:

I have followed your blog for years, since I miscarried my first baby 3 years and 7 months ago. This morning, I’m reading your post as my husband drives me to the hospital to induce labor for our little girl. I feel like you wrote this just for me! You are so gifted, and your words are such a blessing to so many women. Thank you, sister!

• Ashle says:

Such a inspiration!

• Michelle Sligh says:

This touched me. I find myself every day saying this. I just had my first baby and feel so overwhelmed!

• Stacy says:

I’m the mom that gave her son to the bride…now they’ve moved six hours away. I’ve thought a lot lately that I didn’t think I could do this but by the grace of God, King of kings and Lord of lords, here I am doing this just today; I’ll worry about tomorrow when it gets here. Thank you for the post; I look forward to the book.

• Haley says:

I once heard it put like this “If you can do it without God why are you doing?”. Life has many struggles and sometimes it is so we realize we have to rely on God to get us through. Don’t go through life doing easy things alone, walk with God through all of the ups and downs!

• Jennifer Rosa says:

So inspiring Love this!

• Brenda Chain says:

I am the Mom that was in labor 17 hours with my first son. I am the Mom that took him to school for the first day of school. I am the Mom that watched and saw him go through school.and I am the Mom that watched him leave my arms and take his wife and I am the Mom that was gifted with little twin boys from my first born son AND I am the Mom that had to say “Goodbye” to my first born son when he was 34 years young.I thought and even screamed so may times”I CAN’T DO THIS”!! I couldn’t !! Only with God by my side have I been able to go on these last 6 years. Can’t wait to read your book!

• Savannah says:

I definitely needed this today. I’m just a month away from having my first baby. I’m still in college, I’ve been sick my entire pregnancy, I’m working up until the due date, I’ve just been experiencing the rockiest roller coaster of my life. Yet the idea of labor in a month scares me to pieces. I read this and started bawling!

• Carolyn Gift says:

Needed this in this exact moment. I can do this! Im not doing it alone! God designed me for this and blessed me with the opportunity to do this! He didnt bring me this far to leave me!

Mom of 1yr, 13yr and StepMom to 19yr olf

• Christa says:

This speaks volumes! I have three living children. My fourth died when I was almost 23 weeks pregnant. I spent 30 hours giving birth to an angel. I can’t tell you how many times I said ‘I can’t do this’. From labor and delivery, to letting letting the funeral home director take her from me, to planning the funeral, to burying my baby…the whole time I just kept saying ‘I can’t do this!’ The only way I COULD was with the help of God.

• Ash says:

Today was an “I don’t think I can do this” kind of day… Your words were precisely right on time and an answer to my heart’s cry. His ways and timing are always perfect.
    Thank you for being so transparent, and for giving yourself and your time.

• Lynn Rye says:

Very insightful post. I found my throat tightening and tears bleating my eyes as I remembered the time surrounding my husband’s passing.
    We had just retired 9 months previous I Illinois and bought our trtirement home in Texas. He was living in Texas already when diagnosed with Stage four Melanoma. I was still in Ilinois working, trying to sell the house there. My oldest son had just announced his engagement.
    Morrison was getting treatment and I was going back and forth to Texas. The house finally sold in June, Morrison passed in July, Anthony was married in September all of 2010. I knew I could not do it alone.

• Joyce Conn says:

A mama also says this in prayer to God when their 51 yr old daughter is dying of breast cancer that she fought long and hard with all her might for 9 yrs. I CANT DO THIS!!!!!!! But you can and you do because it’s what you do when God decides it time for your baby to be called home to his loving arms.

• Connie says:

My granddaughter just buried her 2 month old daughter last week (SIDS). We keep saying “I can’t do this”. Thank you for the reminder that God will get us through this.

• Susie Morgan says:

I have hit many of these “can’t’s” in my life … And know that I know that I know when “I can’t”… GOD CAN!

• Raven says:

I know that I either said “I don’t think I can do this” or “I don’t think I can ever do this again” with all of my deliveries. It is such a scary feeling. Once that little baby gets there and is in your arms, fitting like the puzzle peice you never realized was missing, all those thoughts deminish and nothing but love is present. I would say that there is definitely something Devine in that feeling of pure unfathamable love… You beautifully captured that moment and shared it so eloquently! I sure hope that is the same feeling we will experience when reunited in eternity! “I don’t think I can do this… Oh there you are… another missing puzzle piece I didn’t realize I was missing.”

• Chelsea says:

SO needed to read this today. My daughter is 12 months and is still waking up 2-5 times at night, and I’m 11 weeks pregnant with our second. Some days (and nights) are so hard, but this is a fantastic reminder that God is on this journey with us! Love love love this post.

• Deborah Jane Wright says:

I didn’t think I could handle losing my first born baby. Something I had dream about and we wanted so bad. No forewarning that anything was wrong, but God had other plans and he took her 50 minutes after birth.
    Now I wonder how I am going to take care of my 89 year old Mother. She has dementia and just recently suffered a strock that has taken most of her sight. I have to make all her decision and I need God’s help.

• Sarah Farley says:

I don’t think I can do this – says the woman whose child has just been diagnosed with an incurable condition.

But she did.

• Brittany says:

Goodness, this post just brought me to tears. My husband and I found out recently that we are unable to have biological children without putting them at risk for congenital birth defects. We’ve always had hearts for adoption and believe that this is the Lord leading us in that direction sooner than anticipated, but I find my heart constantly crying out “I can’t do this” about so many aspects of this situation. “I cant do this” in giving up my desire to have children easily like all of our friends. “I can’t do this” in not understanding how we will afford it financially. “I can’t do this” regarding the highs and lows of the adoption process. Yeah, sure– I can’t do this– but I’m thankful for a God that CAN!

• Sarah Colbert says:

Love this post!!! Thank you for sharing!!

• Jennifer says:

One year ago today I had my fourth child with the knowledge that I was going to lose my job, and place to live. I broke down prior to leaving the hospital and said the same thing. I just could not move, but could only sob to the nurse. For weeks I could barely function. I said the same thing. I’m slowly gaining back my confidence as the year has past, and have started stepping out in small ways once again.

• kelli says:

I really like this and believe God is always with us. I wish it included the “I can’t go through another month of heartbreak of not getting pregnant” for all those women who want to be mothers, but for some reason their bodies aren’t allowing them. I am one of them and I know the only way I am able to get through the day or week sometimes is by the comfort of the Lord. Sometimes I just want to give up, but the Lord helps me to have hope.

• Charlotte Ann Gulley says:

I have a son 45, a son 42 and a daughter 37. Daughter has walked away from the Lord and divorced her husband. Just when I think I have cried all the tears I can cry then another crisis arises. Motherhood never ends.

• Amber says:

I am adding my comments along with hundreds of others.
    This is beautifully written and hit way too close to home.

I heard these words from a birthmother gripping my own hand with all the strength she had left just moments before a beautiful baby girl joined us in that room.
    “I don’t think I can do this!”
    The nurses and her mother lovingly reassured her that she could, of course do this and that it would soon be over.
    Which in turn sent me into tears and I agreed with her.
    “I don’t think I can do this” I muttered as that same selfless birthmother handed me, with a beautiful smile, my newborn daughter. That angel birthmom reassured me that of course, I could do this. It’s the way it was supposed to be. And together, we did.

That was a moment that I will never forget. We shared something that night that I hope and pray will always stay close to our hearts. It’s Heavenly Father’s plan and we are simply fulfilling that plan by being able to say at the end, we did it!
    Thank you for sharing your talent with us all. You have inspired so many!

• Lana says:

Thank you for this. As I just finished reading a very well written blog of my own daughters experience of life, the words, “I just can’t” run through my head. Her perspective is very different than mine and I have to remember that she will, in time, have very real teenage daughters and experiences that will require her to see things in a different light. I’m so grateful I am not alone, but also grateful that I am forgiving and that I have been blessed “with that momma heart of unconditional love, that overflows with love for my daughters, even when, “I just can’t!” one more minute!

• Kristin says:

This is a wonderful article, but you forgot one:
    “I don’t think I can do this,” says the mom who buries her baby.

• Brenda H. says:

My friend shared this with me. My beautiful 13 year old daughter has been struggling with depression. She was taking on the pain of others and trying to “fix” them and ended up in a whole lot of pain herself. On Christmas day I felt prompted to check on her in the bathroom and I found cut marks all over the tops of her legs. So many I wouldn’t dare count. Since that time we have gone through doctors appointments, therapy, specialists and medication and she is improving. But then the second wave of bombshell hit. She tells me she doesn’t know if she believes there is a Heavenly Father and she doesn’t know if she even wants a testimony. My heart broke in a million pieces and I am still putting it together. The Spirit reminded me the Lord has a plan for my daughter. This has given me hope. Today I needed to read what you wrote. Thank you for writing what you were inspired to write! With my Savior I can do all things! Thank You!!!!

• Liz Cox says:

A sister in Christ shared this on Facebook. I’m so glad she did. My brothers and I just lost our mom.
    Thank you for this encouraging piece.

• R says:

Very sweet read. Would you mind, though, changing “give up” to “placed” when speaking of adoption? My sister is a birth mom, and that phrase cuts like a knife. She did not “give up” her daughter. She placed her daughter into the arms of another mother and gave her everything.

• Anne Peterson says:

I am 77 and have 5 children, 11 grandchildren and 1 great-grandson and I still have days that I don’t think I can do this! Only with my faith have I made it this far.

• Amber says:

Wow, this really hit home. I was in the exact same position as you a little under 7 years ago, although it seems as if it were yesterday. I’ll admit I shed a few tears while reading this because I have been in that situation then and in another “I don’t think I can do this” situation now. Thank you and I’m so glad that God lead you to write this and that he also guided me to it as well. I’m praying for you here in Oklahoma.

• Meg says:

This is beautiful! I’ve definitely been the one saying “I can’t,” but I’ve also been the one witnessing all the amazing women around me (and myself at times) DOING things they never thought they could… Through the strength of the Lord. Thanks for sharing.

• Amy says:

My 17 and 15 year old sons moved to their fathers house one year ago after fighting me about my rules and requirements. One was attending church weekly. They have very few rules at the other home. I pray about this situation daily and there are times that I don’t think I can bear the pain any longer of them not living in my home. I just don’t know if I can do it.

• Lisa says:

Please use affirming language of adoption, mothers don’t “give their babies up” they place them in homes. “I don’t think I can do this – says the woman PLACING her child for adoption.”

• Elizabeth says:

Was it Nov. 30th in South Jersey you heard this? Lol, I think it was me.

• Tauscha says:

I see a sequel to this post coming… perhaps I could write it… I’m sure we all could. Not only does the Lord send the help we need as mothers, but He does it in the most amazing and miraculous ways sometimes… And sometimes we miss the miracles and His Grace because the blessing comes in the smallest and most obscure way. The moments when I have witnessed these small and simple things have become the most precious to me!

• N McConnell says:

I don’t remember saying I can’t do the most difficult things that I had to do as a mother, mostly because I think I knew that there wasn’t really any choice. If I didn’t learn to insert the ng tube into our down syndrome daughter’s nose, then she wouldn’t be able to leave the hospital. If I didn’t figure out how to slide the 3 inch length of intestine that was protruding from her abdomen into a colostomy bag, who would? Eight months later, she was air lifted back to the hospital because she had a deadly lung infection, and literally couldn’t breathe. The extreme pressure on her chest and abdomen from trying to expand her lungs enough to take a breath, caused more of her intestine to prolapse. So instead of one side hanging out 3 or 4 inches, both sides of the colostomy had to be manipulate d into the bags. One w as 7 inches, and the other was nine. At first they told us they would do surgery again to fix it, but the pulmonologist said there was no way he would allow anesthetic s so soon after the lung trauma she had experienced. They could keep her in the hospital till she was strong enough for surgery, or I could learn to deal with her 16 inches of protruding intestines, and take her home till she was capable of surviving another surgery. We had 6 other children and they had been through so much already, that we could not consider staying in the hospital for another 2 or 3 months in the nearest city major enough to have a children’s hospital. So I did it. Because I had no choice, and I knew I had no choice. The truly terrible and impossible things I did without hesitation, reluctance or complaint. The normal, inconvenient, or hard ones were the ones I found (still find) myself wanting to wimp out of, but I have learned that we really can do everything that is required of us with the Lord’s help. He does not leave us alone in any trial. Much as I would like to take all the credit for all of the impossible, and practically impossible things I have done, I know that it is only by the grace of God that I and my family, have even survived.

• Rhonda says:

Between 9/13&7/14 I was hospitalized 4x for CHF. In September of 2014 I was diagnosed with endometrial(uterine) cancer. The internist my oncologist sent me to wouldn’t ok surgery, the radiologist stated radiation would be inaccurate because of my weight. I lost some weight and December 15, 2014 had a full hysterectomy. Doctor said I’d be on a respiratory for days n days n days. I was only on a respirator 3 days! On January 9th 2015 I was released from rehab center to home. In March, 2 mo. Later, I was diagnosed with Melanoma and in December last year basil cell carcinoma. Last month my pap came back abnormal so once again I’m on the merry-go-round and biopsy results will arrive anyday. My mind doesn’t even go to the place of can’t for if it even for a moment does I’m so gently reminded by God how He walked with me through this far, not to abandon me nor forsake me. He has not only healed my body, but my mind and heart. His Holy Spirit lives in me, He lives inside ALL His children and His mighty Neverending power lifts me up when I have no strength. His power has made it possible for me to sing and play hand percussion in the church praise band. He has restored to me great joy, even in the valley where darkness presses on all sides His light, His Hope shines bright like a dimond. I look forward to reading this book!

• Melissa says:

Thank you for your article, it was inspiring and helps me remember one of my purposes in this life. “I can’t do this” I don’t know how many times I’ve said that over the past 17 years. I had been abandoned, and was facing the knowledge that I would bring my son into the world as a single mom. Now he will be 17 in May. My girl, 15 this month and my other son will be 13 in September. Married 16 years now, even at that I’ve uttered that same phrase. My babies are almost grown ( in their eyes ) and I can’t believe how fast. Now looking at the future with them out of my home, I think of what I will do without them. But I am blessed, I have the Lord and my faithful husband to stand with me as I find my friends or other forelorned women looking to me, just needing an ear to listen as they tell me of their miscarriages. I listen and wait, now understanding the answer to the question I’ve been for God to answer all these years. You are I lost my first son’s twin. Then, my daughter’ s twin. I was pregnant with twins when my mom died in 2002. I lost them 1 and 1/2 months later. My last son came in 03, he wasn’t a twin and I knew I was done when after 3 days of labor, not breathing and so blue. Then I hear the most beautiful cry I’d ever heard. Thank you God! No more heartache or lost babies for me.Wondering why bringing life into this world had been so hard. Now, I know what to say when my shoulders are needed, when the comforting words are called for after the latest miscarriage or the first one. When God’s words are all but hidden from a grieving mother. Thank you Lord for the hard lessons, and give me the wisdom to listen to these women who need you most.

• Amanda says:

Thanks you, perfect timing for me. 💗💕

• melissa says:

This is one of the most heart-felt and wonderfully written things I have ever read. It makes me.cry every time I read it, and it has been shared over 30 times on facebook since I shared it. I imagine the savior, and I KNOW this is how he feels. Thank you for reminding me!

• Jade from Henibean.blogspot.co.uk says:

I love this. I feel like this all the time… and I know that I can only do what I do because of my Saviour’s help, love and grace. Deep breath…. push onwards.

• Rachel says:

I am pregnant with my second right now and I absolutely loved this!! Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a sweet story, as well as your thoughts. :)

• Sonya Love-Smith says:

This came up on my email at the exact right moment…Thank you God! I’m in the stage of life with a defiant teenager & her little sister who doesn’t understand what’s going on…How can this be? How can this sweet little girl that I prayed for, that I begged God for, be out lying to me & doing things that are harmful to her? How? Why? I haven’t done this parenting thing right, by any means, but I am certainly trying & learning to rely on my Savior! I cried out to Him tonight, saying the exact same thing…”I can’t do this!” I laid with my little one as she cried for 20 minutes because she just wants her sister back. No, I can’t do this. I’m not equipped. I’m not qualified. Thank you God for showing me that You have my sweet baby girls in your arms. Thank you for bringing this message to me when you knew I would be able to read it. Thank you for blessing others so they can spread your love & joy thanksgiving. Thank you!

• Trish says:

Just what I needed to read. An overwhelmed single momma of 2 with no help from either one of the fathers. Only my family to help me when needed. I have struggled but never let anything stop me from pushing forward. I cry everyday that I can’t do this and I always feel reassured by God that it’s going to be ok.

• Abby says:

Great post. This was really encouraging. Thank you for sharing!

• Whitney says:

Like all the other mommas I needed this today. I have two small children and a husband that is a fireman and gone 1/3 of our lives. I have been searching for the last few weeks for some affirmation that someone noticed how hard I was working to keep everything together. Not matter where I looked my husband, my boys, my friends I wasn’t finding the words I needed. This just reminded me that I don’t need other people to tell me what I am doing is right, but that God is always watching me take care of my family. Thanks for your touching words!

• Krissy says:

I have two biological children and recently adopted two more children. I love them all so much, but hardly a day goes by that I say “I can’t do this”. Those words have been comforting for me bc they are a clear reminder that, I can’t do this, but He can! He called me to this, and He will help me to be the best the mother to these children. He has called you all to be mothers and He CAN do this!!! ❤️

• Anne Nathanson says:

I’m the mother whose youngest child will soon be graduating from high school, and going off to college. I am already feeling Anxious about having a empty house. Where did the time go, my babies have all grown up ? I will order this book today, it may be just what I need to help me through this stage of my life.

• gmaria says:

I’m reading this on Mother’s Day, which is the most difficult day of the year for me. Thank you for including,
    “I don’t think I can do this – says the woman giving her child up for adoption” in this post!
    Birth mothers are somewhat tainted/swept aside in our society. I ‘m grateful you acknowledged the great pain involved. I gave my son up for adoption 29 years ago, later married and had other children. While I love my other children, my heart still aches for the son I don’t know and who doesn’t know me.

• Tori Hall says:

I’m going to have to read this article a lot more frequently soon. I’m at 14 weeks and we just told everyone. I never thought I would be brave enough to do this, and I still don’t, but it’s happening. Thank you and bless you for writing this. ♥

• Aleesha says:

I couldn’t love this more. I just recently discovered I am expecting my 5th. It was a surprise that we would even think about #5 but this baby was prayed about and planned for. Now that I’m pregnant I feel a little bit like that mama on the other side of the wall. I don’t know how I’m going to do this. How can I face, extreme morning sickness, 4 busy children ages 5-13 and a 98 yr old grandmother who lives with me. I feel wholly unprepared to face diapers and nursing and potty training…all while juggling teenage hormones and 7 yr old drama queen antics. Your article was just what I needed to remind me that I don’t have to do it alone (and my husband is amazing so it was never really ALONE) God wants me to have this baby, and he will handle what I can’t. It’s that simple.

• Brandie says:

I needed this! I read it as I am sitting here with sweet baby #5. She’d having a terrible night. She’s been screaming for the past 3 1/2 hours. It’s after midnight and I’m exhausted. My husband works away from home and I was feeling the “I can’t” coming on strong. I was feeling alone. HE knows our every need. How amazing He is to send this during my time of need! I know He’s always there, but in my trials, sometimes I need a reminder. Thank you!

• Alyssa says:

Tears. I can’t do this. I’ve been thinking it for weeks.
    We have three children. My youngest is getting her license. She is overjoyed. I am overwhelmed. We have three babies. The older two, boys only 16 months apart, made the brave decision to enlist and will be leaving for the navy in just a couple months (two weeks apart). THIS IS HARD. It feels like the parental rug was jerked out from under me. Your post encouraged me tremendously. Thank you.

• Cynthia says:

A mother places her child for adoption. She does not give up. She gives more.

• Kristi says:

Earlier this year, my youngest son was born with a serious medical issue. That morning I thought giving birth sans epidural had to be the hardest thing I would ever have to do. Then it turned out sending my precious new baby off on a life flight was much, much harder. And sending him into a major surgery with unknown outcomes was downright terrifying.

But this post was a lifeline. “Each can’t you overcome becomes a sentence in your heart that tells the story, “She did.”

And we just kept doing. My sweet baby is now thriving. But I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for this beautiful post that carried me through dark, challenging days.

bit.ly/EATEF or livelearnrunblog.wordpress.com

• DeeAura says:

My husband left me emotionally not even halfway through my pregnancy with our first baby. The one we both wanted so much. But he checked out and gave his heart to someone else. But I had to watch it in very close proximity through the rest of my pregnancy…because we were figuring out our divorce. Instead of our marriage. But he wouldn’t listen to anything else. And it broke my heart. All the while still feeling this new little life grown more and more inside me each day. Every day I felt like I couldn’t do it. Sometimes all day long. Every night I felt like I couldn’t do it. But I had help. I know I did. I felt it. Sometimes from my little boy inside me, and other times from people I couldn’t see but knew they were there helping me. He’s four months now. And as a single mom, there are days when I feel like I can’t do this. Or that I wish so desperately that I didn’t have to do it alone. But reading this today gave me another drop of courage…and I have felt like I’ve been on empty all day today. So thank you. Know I needed this hope today. 💜