To the Momma Up in the Middle of the Night

image

Shhhhh. I won’t take much of your time. I know you’re busy. I know you’re tired. And I know that more than anything you wish you were sleeping and your little one (or not so little one anymore) was sleeping too. I thought I might keep you company for a second.

I know how lonely the night can be.

I know when your little one needs you in the night, it feels like the weight of the world rests alone on your shoulders – As if everything is up to you. There’s no one to call. There’s no one else awake. There’s just you and your baby… And Jesus.

I don’t know if you’re awake tonight because you have a brand new baby who is still adjusting to his brand new world… Or who is eating every forty-five minutes.

I don’t know if it’s teething, or an earache, or if it’s teething that’s causing the earache.

I don’t know if it is sickness, or heartache, or worry that is keeping you awake.

But I know this… I’ve been there.

I’ve been the momma who nurses hour after hour to soothe a baby suffering from reflux. I have been the mom terrified of the scary-high reading on the thermometer… Wondering how high is too high and reminding herself that they said not to worry… but I just can’t help it.

I have held the trash cans, and stripped the sheets, and walked sleep walking babies back to their beds. I have laid awake at night worrying that I blew it earlier in the day. I have craved sleep all day only to place my head on my pillow while guilt fills my soul. And I have prayed and prayed to be a better mommy as I plead with the Lord for a good night of sleep too.

I’ve been the momma rocking hour after hour until the morning provides relief… at least I’m not alone anymore.

I don’t know what is keeping you awake tonight, friend. But I just want to take a second to say that we’re never quite as alone as we feel.

Not only are there women across this globe doing the same things you are in this very minute, and not only have I been right with you many nights myself, Jesus is with you even now.

Do you feel Him? Let’s tune our hearts to His voice for a second. His presence feels like the love you pour out endlessly for your own baby. His Love feels like peace. And in the middle of all the really hard and exhausting moments, Jesus promises not to leave us. So that means in this exact moment, He hears your heart, and He is speaking words of love over you and over your baby.

Deep breath, sister. Okay, here’s the thing. I can’t put your little one back to sleep, and if you’re reading this in the morning after an exhausting night, I can’t give you the rest you crave either.

But what I can do is remind you that this night… These long exhausting nights… This whole season of life…will not last forever.

I know the night can feel endless… But the sun is just over the horizon. It’s light breaking through the fear. It’s the dawning of Hope in the promise that tomorrow is coming and Jesus will meet us there too.

You’re doing a great job.

Rest when you can, pray when you can’t, and never doubt God’s presence in your life… (even in the middle of the night.)

What about you? Why are you awake tonight?

Hope Unfolding is everything I have ever wanted to tell a momma and probably everything you ever needed to hear. Click the image for more details.

HopeUnfolding_3d

Comments

• Nichole Herzke says:

Thank you!! Reading this at 330 am with my mind, awake but so tired. Thank you since yesterday was a bad day but today is a new day.

• Bethany says:

This spoke right to my heart tonight and I’m holding my baby a little closer, remembering I’m never alone, even on the darkest, longest nights, and that this season of waking to feed, change a diaper, or just cuddle, won’t last forever. Thank you, thank you for all of the encouraging words and reminders you give to mommas!

• Brittany Small says:

I cannot tell you how much I needed this today. It seems like every piece you write seems to just speak to me personally! I cannot tell you how grateful I am. I have a 6 month old who is still refusing to sleep through the night and a 4 year old who has to be at preschool at 8:30am. I feel like I’m continually running on empty. We recently moved abroad and I’ve been having trouble making friends and with your words I don’t feel so lonely. Thank you so much for encouraging words and reminding me I’m not alone. So looking forward to your book!! Lots of love from East Anglia! God Bless! X

• Vicki says:

Love the above passage

• Teresa says:

I’m not even sure how i stumbled across this tonight, but I am so glad I did! It’s 1:50 am, I have been up for an hr and a half trying to get the 18 monther back to sleep-for the 4th night in a row. Just like my mom used to say, “this too shall pass.”…. I just hope soonet, rather then later! 😀

• Jackie Kennedy says:

Love this post!! Above all things in this world, I am most grateful He blessed me with the gift of motherhood. I feel His loving arms around us at night and always.

• Melissa says:

This was a must read for me. I have four children 17,7,5,&3 and sometimes it’s only once, but usually it’s 3-4 times my 3 yr old and 5 yr old are waking in the night, mainly because they want to be cuddled. On one hand it’s a blessed feeling to know that they want mommy Constantly even at 3 am but on the other hand it’s very tiring to know that I’m running on no sleep and it seems they will never out grow this habbit. But I have recently became more aware that Jesus is with me all ways, and I was chosen to Love and Nurture my precious angels. What an Honor. I enjoy every minute with them, even if it’s in the middle of the night calming them of a bad dream, Because it will not last forever and when it’s over and they don’t “need ” me anymore I will look back and long for those hours to sit with my babies.
    God bless you, And all the Mothers out there ♡

• Mandi says:

I’m finding this later but remember the night of 3/7 vividly. I sat awake, comforting my newborn son who arrived a bit too early and was having a rough day. The night of my 30th birthday I fed and rocked and swaddled and sang and held and walked and remember telling my husband that nighttime feels like “me against the world” with this new little life in our house. Thanks for the reminder that that is not the case :)

• Johnna says:

I’m reading this somewhere around 1:30am. My baby is asleep. She’s 11 years old now. God truly blessed me in my later years with her so tonight I’m thinking about all the things I want to do with her before she grows up like her brother and sisters did and starts her own family. Tears roll down my cheeks. I have toddler songs playing on Spotify. I pray that I will live to see her grown and maybe even my grandchildren. Blessings.

• Brittany B says:

Oh Becky let’s be friends! Girl I needed this. Like really needed this. I read part of your book yesterday about giving it all to Him – I think chapter 5. And I’ve got a little who is teething. I’m so tired. I’m the mom who doesn’t have time to be nice to her husband and it’s showing. I need it to be January so I can get book 2!!!! Thank you for your encouragement and reminders to praise and pray!!

This is so beautiful! Thank you for this poignant reminder that even in the darkest moments when we feel the most alone, desperate and exhausted, Jesus is right there with us, giving us everything we need to make it through this season.

• Jackie Adams says:

Thank you so much for what you are doing. My precious daughter has a colicky baby and is up many nights or trying to get a colicky baby appeased during the daytime hours.I am so glad she can go to your blog and know she is not the only Mama going through this. I spend my nights praying for her and all the sweet Moms who will be up that night. And spend my days praying for her and all the sweet Mamas struggling with a colicky baby during the day. I thank The Lord for you Becky and what you are doing to encourage all these sweet, sleep deprived, and many times very discouraged Mamas.