What’s Happening to Chip & Joanna Gaines Affects All of Us

untitled-design4

I thought it was a joke at first. Wait, is someone really upset that a Christian couple who attends a Christian church has a pastor that preaches a widely accepted message found in the Christian Bible?

What’s the story here? I’m confused. But it wasn’t a joke, and it’s still not. It began last Tuesday, but the implications of the entire situation will affect Christians everywhere. If you’re unfamiliar with the controversy surrounding popular TV stars and home renovators, Chip and Joanna Gaines, let me catch you up quickly.

Last Tuesday, the website, Buzzfeed, posted an article titled, “Chip And Joanna Gaines’ Church Is Firmly Against Same-Sex Marriage.” The article states,

Their church, Antioch Community Church, is a nondenominational, evangelical, mission-based megachurch. And their pastor, Jimmy Seibert, who described the Gaineses as “dear friends” in a recent video, takes a hard line against same-sex marriage and promotes converting LGBT people into being straight.

The article goes on to question whether or not the Gaines are also against same-sex marriage as well. It further questions whether or not they would allow a same-sex couple on their popular TV show.

The story doesn’t end there. Online news outlets demanded that the Gaines issue a statement regarding their beliefs, and when statements were not issued, more accusations were made regarding their suspicious silence.

Today, HGTV issued a statement and Chip and Joanna’s Pastor, Jimmy Seibert, has now issued a statement as well. If Chip and Joanna choose to comment on this eventually, I will update this post. But as I write, no statement has yet to be officially released by them.

While there are tremendous issues surrounding this entire situation, we must address how this article, turned National news story, impacts Christians everywhere.

It isn’t a secret that Chip and Joanna Gaines are Christians, and it isn’t a surprise that the majority of Christians still hold to the long kept belief that homosexuality is against God’s original design for marriage. So what is the problem? What was the purpose of the article? What did the author intend with the release of the post on the same day as the season premier of the Gaines’ TV show? I cannot answer those questions, but they do cause me to ask a few more.

Is it a problem that Chip and Joanna are Christians? The answer is hopefully, no. They can still be on TV, and they can still have their own personal views, and they can still attend a Christian church of their choice. The problem seems to be that the church they attend preaches a message that many disagree with.

It seems that the media won’t question Chip and Joanna Gaines’ faith so long as their faith doesn’t disagree with what the media likes.

Homosexuality has created clear dividing lines in the Christian community this year. From Brandon and Jen Hatmaker’s controversial statements on homosexual marriage, to well-known Christian author, Glennon Doyle Melton’s, announcement that she is dating US Women’s Soccer player, Abby Wambach, the popular Christian view on homosexuality isn’t as clear as it once was.

But we have to look at this outside of the homosexual discussion.

We have to look at the heart of this issue. The culture is clearly changing, but what happens to the churches that do not change with it? What happens to the churches and pastors who refuse to change the Message that they have been sharing for thousands of years?

Tuesday’s article on Buzzfeed gives us a clear answer.

Those churches and the people inside will be forced to publically account for their beliefs.

This isn’t just about Chip and Joanna’s views of homosexuality. This is just a taste of what it could mean to be a conservative Christian… or a Christian of any kind… in the years to come.

I don’t know where you stand on the issue of same-sex marriage. I’m not asking you to tell me or to defend either side. I’m simply asking you to realize that when it comes to being a Christian, they’ll let us, so long as we don’t disagree with them. Today, homosexuality… tomorrow…?

I think those who fall on all sides of this would agree. Being a Christian is much harder than it used to be. But maybe it wasn’t ever supposed to be easy in the first place.

What do you think?

To read more of my thoughts about the LGBT community, you can read them HERE or HERE.

Comments

• Emmy says:

I’m so glad you brought this up! I am a Christian who believes in same-sex marriages and rights (please, before anyone comments back with negativity remember that Beckys blog is a space where we should feel safe to share our feelings!) That being said, the original article about the Gaines family was appalling. As a society, how can we be expected to move forward and respect one another if we repeatedly seek out situations to trip each other up and fall back 10 steps again? This is nothing more than a witch hunt – shall the media go after any celebs who are Catholics as well? Because it’s well-known that church shares the same beliefs and the Gaines family church. I truly hope this blows over and that they leave Chip and JoJo and their children in peace…and I say that as both a Christian and a huge Fixer Upper fan. :)

• Kristin says:

Yup. Our society’s moral code is as long as you’re not hurting someone it’s okay. So if you hold anything as wrong that doesn’t fall under that code- you are not just wrong but don’t even deserve to exist. It’s a dangerous zone we’re in.

• April Maples says:

This is a very good conversation starter!!! I will say I am a conservative Christian and will still be one when I meet my Lord and Savior :) With that said, I will not waiver, I will not change with the changing culture or world we live in. You see, God is the same today as yesterday and will be tomorrow. His Word is of Him, so it won’t change either. I am not called to be popular, but peculiar, which in this day and age I am definitely not like everyone else or I wouldn’t be a conservative Christian. If someone is proclaiming to be a Christian yet lives in open sin, then one day they will have to answer for that. I have a feeling there will be a LOT of mislead people in Hell. I do blame leaders who have twisted God’s word so people can feel good about living in sin. Those leaders will stand before a very vengeful God with the blood of many on their hands, and they will have to answer for their faults. God is loving, first and foremost, He wants all of us to be saved from Hell, but He is also jealous God, He won’t allow us to serve two masters, He is a just God and I will be held to the same standards as everyone else, past present and future. His word is truth, we are to abide by His word and keep it in our hearts, and if we are truly doing this, we won’t sin against Him because He can’t exist were sin dwells. With that said,,,,,, as conservative Christians (sad I have to define what type of Christian I am) I will show God’s love to others, try to win souls for Christ, do my best to be a witness not with just my tongue, but most importantly with my walk (even though I stumble), weep for the lost and pray that He saves many and comes quickly. Until then, I will just put on my big girl panties and know I am not alone, that He already holds the keys to Hell and death, He already whipped the crap out of the devil, and I’m just here temporarily until I meet my Lord and get my mansion!!!!

• Gena says:

I’m a christian. I was raised in a christian home and my husband was raised in a christian home. We have always been taught that homosexuality is wrong in God’s eyes. Eventually we grew to learn that ourselves by having our own relationship with God…we didn’t need our parents to tell us it was wrong. I have looked at this from so many angles. The christian angle, the political angle, the equality angle…and I have determined I have a different view with every single angle.

As a christian, I know it is wrong. I also know that it isn’t my place to judge someone else’s decisions. So, from the christian angle-I pray for them. I pray that God will change their hearts, that he will guide them, and that he will protect them even if they don’t make the christian decision-because being homosexual can’t be easy-and for that I pray that God protects them and gives them strength to endure the troubles that may come with it.

From the political angle-I believe that this country was founded on God…and for that I am grateful. But, times have changed so much and it has become so messy to intertwine the two-I believe that as sad as it is, they need to be separated. I believe that if conservatives want a chance to stay in office-then we must separate church and state. The days of heterosexual marriage being the only marriage and the days of not allowing abortions have come to an end. We fought and we fought hard to stop it. We don’t agree with it. We just aren’t going to win those battles anymore. So as Christians, again, I believe that we should now pray for them. If we can’t keep them from committing these sins, then let’s pray that their hearts change. Let’s not ridicule them, or alienate them, or harass them-that isn’t very Christ-like. We certainly aren’t going to make Christianity appealing by bashing them-so let’s kill them with kindness and let God speak through our actions.

I have a brother-in-law who is gay. He married his partner for over 20 years just recently. I don’t agree with his decisions, but I love both of them, dearly. I would never wish unhappiness on anyone; and if being married is what makes them happy, then that they shall be. It isn’t my place as a Christian to judge him or tell him that the law of our country shouldn’t allow it. He knows that the law of our God does not condone it. He struggled with it and made his decision. It is between him and God, now. I pray for both of them-daily. And, I support them and love them unconditionally-because that is the best way that I know how to allow God to speak through me.

I guess to sum this all up, I’m saying…it is hard to be a Christian today. We have become a minority. But, if Christians are going to survive in this new world, I think it’s time we lower our weapons and take the church out of our government. We fought a good fight-but we have already lost. I don’t think that any politician that planed to change those laws back to the Christian’s favor would ever make it to office. I think the country has proven that it isn’t going to allow us to preach our message through laws that we don’t agree with as Christians. We have to find a new way to reach them. We have to evolve-because everything else has already evolved. We have to pray-harder than we have ever prayed. We have to witness-more than we have ever witnessed. If we want the laws of this country to be based on God like they once were, then we have to get this country to believe in God, like they once did.

• Jeri says:

It’s a sad world when people in the public eye or not have to defend their views and beliefs. It’s even worse that the Church is being critized because they don’t bend or change with the times. We as Christians are called to live in this world not of
    this world and hold firm our faith and beliefs. We are also called to love one another regardless of beliefs, lifestyle and so forth. We will all be judged on that fateful day called judgement day when we stand before God and are judged by Him and Him alone for the life we have led. To Chip and Joanna Gaines stand firm and don’t bend and give in to the pressure, no statement needed here. God Bless to The Gaines Family

• Kate says:

Considering that Christians have thousands of years of history of persecuting and killing those who don’t agree with their beliefs, I’d say this is a relatively small taste of their own medicine.

• Carolynn says:

I don’t even see what religion or homosexuality has to do with a tv show about renovating homes! Seesh, what if they went to a Muslim church? They also are against homosexuals.

• Sarah Wright says:

Yes, yes 100% agree. I do think the world tends to see the extremes of Christian opinions: on one hand, it’s the people who disagree with homosexuality and live to judge and hate anyone who disagrees with them. On the other hand, they see Christians who see no issue with homosexuality and feel it is best to accept any form of living or thinking regardless of how beneficial it is.

I think the world needs to see more Christians who can acknowledge that homosexuality is not God’s intended plan for marriage (and that it doesn’t ultimately benefit those individuals in the long-run) BUT to see those same Christians loving and embracing people, regardless of their thoughts/opinions on the matter… because at the end of the day, it isn’t about whether or not homosexuality is right or wrong. It’s about how we ALL need Jesus. Period.

People find out that Chip & Joanna go to a church that doesn’t condone a homosexual lifestyle and people start to assume they’ll be the Christians-who-hate-homesexuality-and-all-homesexuals kind of people. Not necessarily so. Let’s give them the benefit of the doubt.

Why is it so hard for people to believe there are actually people who can hold a belief about something without that belief turning into hate for anyone who disagrees?

• Linda says:

Stand firm in God’s word Chip and Joanna . God bless you. Hugs and prayers from Concord, Ohio

• Linda knapp says:

Stand firm in God’s word Chip and Joanna.
    God Bless you.

• Lindsay says:

I would agree, it is harder today. At first, I thought, no, the first church faced so many more challenges. But then, I thought about worldwide Church now. In our lifetime, there have been more martyrs than before. There is more violent and social hostility towards Christianity than ever before, I believe, largely due to how connected the world is now. Harder lines are being drawn, even though many say there are no lines (which still baffles me that people say no one can tell them they are wrong, but the fact that Christians think there is truth is wrong.) But like you asked, Christianity was never supposed to be easy. The fact that it is harder, shows even more that Jesus’s words are truth. He told us it would be like this. We should be expect to be hated. HATED. And in our country it hasn’t even gotten to this point yet. But we have hope that it is in the darkness that light burns brightest. My heart hurts for our world and for people that are so closed minded. It also hurts for those who have hurled words of hatred in the name of Jesus. No matter if they hate us or not, we have to LOVE the world. It is not our duty to judge those who don’t know the truth.

And on another note, the media is going to do as it pleases to please the masses. They know drama and hatred gets the ratings. Behind the media are people with beliefs and agendas… most of all to make money. And no matter what anyone says, you cannot separate your political and social views from your beliefs.

Anyway, thank you for writing this and posing the questions.

• Savannah says:

Christians will be persecuted for their beliefs, Christ was. I reward is not here though so we have hope in this fallen world. They are such a great family who show so love and you can tell by their show what kind of people they are so the fact that all these people are making a huge deal out of what is what the Bible says blows my mind. Doesn’t mean Christians don’t love them but we don’t don’t have to agree and with that disagreeance we shouldn’t be mocked. They don’t get their shows kicked of fans when they throw their homosexuality in our faces. These people that preach freedom of choice here in the US always seem to be the most intolerable to everyone else that doesn’t agree with them.

• Mike Harris says:

Here is my response: As a Cristian the Bible (God’s inspired word through men) states homosexuality is a sin. God loves the person that is a homosexual but he hates the sin. I am a sinner, we all are sinners. God loves each one of us. He loves us so much that He gave us His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ. Who was sent into this world not to condemn the wold but to save the world. Every human being on this planet has a choice, that choice is believe in Jesus Christ that He died on the cross (shed his blood for all humanitys sins), was buried and rose 3 days later (defeated death) or don’t believe in Jesus. When you make that decision to follow Jesus you become a new person in Christ. You receive eternal life. You begin to develop a relationship with Him. He becomes your Heavenly Father. Just like a father here in earth guides and teaches his child or children so does Jesus as your Heavenly Father. He wants to have a relationship with you.
    On the flip side, if you choose not to believe in Jesus Christ, then the Bible is very clear that you shall spend eternal life in Hades (hell),
    The beautiful principle is that it’s a choice that every human being has or will have to make. I have friends that are homosexuals. I don’t treat them any different than any one else. It’s my obligation as a Christian to share Jesus with them not in a, force it down their throat way, but in a loving friendly way. Most of it has to do with the way I live my life daily. When I live for Christ Christ shines through me to others and it is not mans way of life such as your article talks about. It’s Christs way.

God bless,

Mike

• Judy Quesinberry says:

What is scary here is Pastor Seibert’s promoting “converting” LGBT people. It’s not a choice. Who they are attracted to and love is just as natural and strong to them as straight people’s feelings. God loves all of us the way he made us…why can’t we?

• Sarah- Inkblots of Hope says:

Breaks my heart…this shouldn’t be happening to anyone for their belief system- whether you are a Christian, Buddhist, or agnostic- we should all be entitled to our opinions and agree to disagree. Unfortunately, we as Christians have been reactionary for years prior. I can still hear the words of gays in the public eye saying “You conservatives and Christians will be sorry for this one day when WE are in charge.” This was all in response to the church and conservatives berating them. We should have had a widespread opening of church doors years ago to the homosexual community, extending love without compromising the truth. We should have then. When we could. Thank you for sharing this timely message, Becky. Jo & Chip are dear to many of our hearts. Praying this will all dissolve and that the Almighty will allow for a revival of souls and healing of chasms too wide for human hands to mend.

Much Love,