Mommy’s First Christmas

There are branches wrapped in festive lights, packages arriving in the mail and family is gathering from near and far. But this Christmas is different. This year is even more special, because you got your Christmas gift early.

Being a Mommy is wonderful. Isn’t it? Your sweet baby has brought more joy in the short time they have been here than you ever knew possible. Your heart has experienced love like never before.

But I know that there have also been moments that you didn’t plan on being so difficult.

You have worried – about you, about the baby, about whether or not you’re doing everything right. Being Mommy isn’t always what we imagined it would be, and some days, it is absolutely overwhelming… but you have done a beautiful job.

You and your sweet one have already experienced so many firsts together. A first smile, perhaps a first word, but now it is time for baby’s first Christmas… And that can only mean one thing… it is your first Christmas too.

Sure, there have been Christmases before this one, but this is your first Christmas together. This is your first Christmas as Mommy.

And I know that your heart wants to make it beautiful, special, something to look back on and celebrate. But if I may, if I can encourage you for just a moment…

Your baby has everything they need. Because they have you, and you are enough. Your presence provides peace. Your arms bring comfort. And your love brings joy.

There will be Christmases coming that seem lost in presents, parties and the presentation of it all. There will be Christmases where the toys and to-do lists all seem to overshadow the simple joy of being together in the moment.

But this year while the world rushes around you, may you hold your sweet baby in your arms and realize that on this first Christmas, your baby will find no greater joy than in you. Because you are Mommy and you make everything beautiful just by being you. Merry First Christmas, Mommy – baby’s greatest gift.

Hope Unfolding

I try and stay in touch with my readers on a personal level through social media! Come find me on Facebook!

Comments

• Melissa Gennings says:

You spoke directly to my heart today with this. Thank you for this simple and all too true reminder. May God continue to bless you and your family!

• Jessica P says:

Wow thanks for making me tear up at work! A great reminder in the crazy, hectic, rush that the holidays have become. Thank you

• Elizabeth says:

Beautiful – so, so beautiful!

Sharing it in my space this afternoon~

Elizabeth

• Corinne says:

As I sit here, 39 weeks pregnant in 3 days, this message really hits home for me. I cannot wait for our little bundle of joy to be here and I’m 100% positive that he/she will be the greatest gift I have ever received. Thank you for sharing!

• Kellye says:

Thank you for post. While technically speaking this will be my baby’s second Christmas, it is truly my first Christmas being a mommy. I spent all day last Christmas in labor waiting for my all time most special and favorite gift to arrive! I get to spend this Christmas celebrating my little one’s first birthday.
    No gift will ever compare to the one I got last year. As much as I don’t want her to grow up I am looking forward to so many more firsts together.

Thank you thank you thank you for this! I feel like you wrote this just for me! This is our first Christmas and my baby is three months old. I had a very difficult delivery followed by complications that put me back in the hospital. Now I’m fighting a nasty flu and the list keeps growing! But every time I look into my baby’s eyes, I hold him close and know that it is all worth it. This Christmas will be a special one indeed. :)

• JoLynne Frydenlund says:

What a touching post. Last year my newborn (who was 4 weeks at Thanksgiving), was admitted to the PICU on Thanksgiving. We spent Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s in Childrens’ hospitals surrounded by specialists. My sweet Joshua couldn’t manage his airway and would regularly stop breathing, needing resuscitation. (While my husband and I are both in the medical field, I wouldn’t wish for any parent to perform any type of cpr). We were able to avoid major surgeries and I truly believe our Father stepped in. I won’t get that first Christmas back but I will surely hold him tight this year. I am grateful for all we have learned about the true wonder of Christmas. Blessings to all as we prepare to celebrate the birth of Christ. ♡♡

• My little one is only 6 days old today. Thank you so much for sharing this! So what I needed to hear.

• Dani B. says:

Thank you.

• Thank you for this! I was just thinking about how this – my 8 month old baby’s first Christmas – makes this an exciting and new Christmas for our family. Thank you for the reminder to simply enjoy and cherish this Christmas with him. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

• Linda says:

This meant so much to me. Thank you!

• […] I read this today, and I think I’m going to post it somewhere where I might see it a lot. I need to read this over and over again. I need to read it when I’m panicking about things not being perfect and just right. I need to read it when I try to make things perfect and they fail. Over, and over, and over again. […]

• Elisabeth says:

Thank you for this post. My daughter is 4 weeks old today. I really needed to read this!

• Sarah H says:

You my dear need to stop making s all us mommies cry. Thank you for all your love for all us women and giving us comfort day in and day out.

• Jessica says:

Thank you so much for this! This will be my first Christmas as mommy and I have been stressing out trying to make every single thing “perfect”. Thank you for the reminder to chill and enjoy! (He is only 3 months old for goodness sake lol)

• Amanda says:

This is actually my second Christmas with my second Baby. She was born two weeks early last year making her two weeks old on Christmas. I actually don’t remember much of that Christmas sadly. I spent a lot of time quietly dreading when all the family would be gone and I would be a mom of two. My son would stop napping by then and I would have to figure out how to juggle a 3.5 year old and a new born.

Now my baby is barely a baby anymore. She walks and babbles and gets jealous of her older brother. But she also laughs at him and they play together and he loves her in his not always so gentle way. This will be the first Christmas that I feel like a good mom of two. There will be even more family here and more kids and I’m so happy that my kids are at their stages in growth and development. They will experience the excitement as siblings. This is what I’ve wanted for them and this is all I really want for me.