Why I Let My Son Draw in the Dirt at His T-Ball Game

This is my son. He is five years old. He loves Legos, pretending to be any form of super hero, and whatever “screen time” I will allow him. He sleeps with a special blanket. He would eat his weight in sweets if I were to let him, and he loves Jesus like a friend.

This is my son’s first year to play t-ball.

And that means? At the beginning of the season, he had absolutely no idea what was happening. He stood where he was told. He threw the ball where he was told. He ran where he was told.

Beyond that? He enjoyed drawing in the dirt and the snacks after the game.

During practice, I didn’t worry too much about his lack of understanding. But during practice, (like some of the other parents,) I would shout little encouraging comments from the sidelines.

“You’re doing great, baby!”

“Stop talking to your friends and listen to your coach, honey!”

“Drop the bat before you start running, sweetheart!”

The good news is… most of the other players (who had never played t-ball before) had absolutely no clue what was happening out there either.

This was no fault of the coaches, or the parents, or even the players… this was on account of the fact that they are 5 years old, and baseball has more rules to remember than inches that these kids have grown.

I remembered this when it was time for the first official game.

“Now the most important thing is to just have fun and to try your best!”

But five minutes into the game, I didn’t see the makings of an all-star. As a matter of fact, I looked up, and my son was the only one on the field bent down … drawing in the dirt again.

“Baby! Stand up! This isn’t the time for that! You’re not here to draw. You’re here to play, sweetheart!”

I wasn’t angry. I didn’t sound mad. I sounded encouraging… I sounded like I loved him. At least, I thought that is what love would say.`

But just a few minutes later, as the second hitter was rounding first, there my son was again, finger in the dirt – doodling.

And I wanted to holler out to him again. I wanted to tell him to stand up. To pay attention. To do what he was there to do…

But it was then that I heard the Lord say to me, “I drew in the dirt once too.”

And it was as if, I could picture Jesus out in the middle of the field bent down low next to my son tracing out the lines for my son to follow – side by side – teaching me about grace.

My heart grew, and my eyes teared, and I caught myself in that moment. I whispered a quiet, “Oh. I see, Lord.”

Because He was reminding me of the time when a woman was caught breaking the law, and leaders brought her to Jesus. They asked Him what He said should be done to her while they held rocks in their hands prepared to stone her.

And instead of answering with wrath, Jesus stopped, stooped and started to draw in the dirt.

As the woman’s accusers began to leave, He looked her in the eyes. He told her to go and sin no more. He showed her mercy, and you know?

That one encounter with love changed her life forever.

Not the threat of the stones. Not the shouts from the crowd. Not the exposure of the act.

Her encounter with mercy made a way for a lifetime of healing.

He’s just five years old out there. He’s just a little boy with thousands and thousands of days left in his story… but as He bent low? As He drew in the dirt?

He reminded me that it is not just the attitude that I should have about t-ball.

It is about deciding to parent in a way similar to how Jesus loves me. It is about choosing to remember that in order to make my son great, I must not make him feel small.

So, I didn’t shout. I didn’t tell him to stand up. I didn’t embarrass or make-fun of him or yell.

I just watched as Jesus and my little boy traced out the lines of mercy for me to follow. And I remembered that in order to raise greatness, I must be take on the position of grace.

Share this post to pass it on, and then come find me on Facebook! I try and stay in touch with my readers on a personal level through social media!

CLICK TO GET MY EXCLUSIVE EMAILS

Comments

• Annie Dill says:

Becky, this is the best.

• Catherine says:

What a sweet reminder of what our little boys should be doing! I have an almost 10 year old and I’m found to be muttering under my breath “Don’t pick the grass sweetie,” or “What are you doing out there? Swatting flies?!” My son has been playing ball since he was 6 and is now in his first year of travel baseball with official Major League Baseball rules. What an eye opener this year has been! But as I sit and reflect on the growth he’s had in the last 6 months alone, I KNOW it was God’s hand! Thanks for the gentle reminder as his games continue to find my grace and be the encouraging mom I need to be!

• Brittni says:

I absolutely love this!! My little boy will be 5 in October and this is his first year playing t-ball too. Many times I’ve watched him play in the dirt as the rest of the little boys and girls swarm like bees, wrestling over the ball. I will think of this next time because I know it is inevitable at this point. Thank you! :)

• Pam says:

This is so beautiful. Many years ago, (late 80’s)our daughter’s t-ball team qualified and went to STATE. For T-BALL. Seriously. Thankfully, wiser heads have prevailed and I don’t know if they even keep score anymore- (I know whether to keep score is debatable and a whole other topic). It made me tear up a little when you wrote about the Lord reminding you that He too had once written in the dirt. Mercy and Grace. Two of the most beautiful words in human language. And our Lord encompasses, inhabits,is the very definition of them. I’m so glad I discovered you. Thank you for allowing our Savior to speak thru you.

• Emmy says:

as a parent of 2 kids going through sports (baseball specifically) I thank you so much for this post. Thank you. I needed to read these words.

• Andrea says:

God is working through you and your words in my life. Thank you.

• MiaTheReader says:

I am experiencing this, too! It’s impossible to parent well while belittling our children. This summer has been a time to try to encourage my six-year-old by meeting her where her interests lie and encouraging her in them. It’s funny how her interests are so artistic and don’t line up much with mine, but I’m learning to doodle instead of get something done as well. =)

• Kylee Morris says:

I was first led to your blog by someone who shared your post on “hope after miscarriage.” (Something I just went through with our first child at 12 weeks one month ago) I was touched so much by that post that I spent some more time in your blog! I love the way you are so open to what God is showing you in the “little” things of life! Thank you for encouraging women like me!