A Letter to My Children About the Future of Our Nation

Unsettled

“If My people who are called by My name put away their pride and pray, and look for My face, and turn from their sinful ways, then I will hear from heaven. I will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.” – 2 Chronicles 7:14

Since you likely won’t read this for ten years or so, let me get you up to speed on what has been going in the world lately. It is 2016, the year that the race for the White House has been more… interesting… than ever before. You guys don’t care much about it. Let’s be honest. You are far more concerned with the new baby joining the Doc McStuffins’ house than who will serve next in the White House.

This is the year when Donald Trump, and Ted Cruz, and Hillary Clinton, and Bernie Sanders (as well as many others) have been in the presidential race. You’ll read more about this in your history books, but many of us are worried. We are worried about some of the candidates. We are worried about what might happen if those candidates win. We are even worried about how our nation is responding to the race with rallies, and protests, and firm dividing lines.

There is general unrest, and it feels as if this might be the most unsettled our nation has ever been in the span of my short life. Have there been moments before full of more uncertainty than this? Sure. Have there been moments before full of more hatred, and division, and civil differences? Absolutely. Will there be worse? I can’t say. But I can speculate that there will be times in the future of our nation when your life stretches on past my own where what I’m about to tell you matters more than ever.

Are you listening?

The world will always be in search of a King.

From the beginning and until the end of time, the world will continue to cry out for a king. They will search the earth looking for someone to rule over them with both power and justice. They will seek to put a man or woman in charge who will lead in greatness to make us feel safe and secure. Scripture is full of times when this was proven true. “Give us Saul,” God’s people cried when the Lord had chosen a man like David instead to lead.

But the truth is, no matter who we choose, we will always be unsatisfied. Our hearts crave what no leader on earth can provide.

We are forever crying out for Jesus.

The greatest Hope we have is in the One who is still on the throne no matter who is in the White House, and the greatest power we have is to pray for God to move in the hearts of those in our nation… and our world… no matter who we elect as president.

So, this year, while fear runs rampant, and hearts are unsettled, and we cry out for a king to save us… for a leader to make us great… for a man or woman to guide us out of peril…

I will continue to teach you about how to bend your knees and pray that the Lord would change the heart of our nation beginning right here in our home. I will pray for peace, and love and justice and the presence of the Lord to reign over us again. I will point to the One who has already saved us for eternity, and who can still rescue us from this uncertain time. And I will teach you that in order to become great, we must humble ourselves and pray.

Kids, this is the year that I will continue to cry out for an awakening to happen among my generation, and your generation, and the generations who have paved the way in prayer before us both… So that perhaps when this letter finds you, it not only finds a nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all… but a nation that passionately serves the only One fully fit to lead us.

God has surely done bigger things than this. He is able. And He will not be moved from His throne. We will choose trust Him no matter what comes.

No matter what happens next.

Did you see that my brand new book is the #1 BEST SELLER in Christian Families on Amazon!

Hope Unfolding

Comments

• Maureen says:

On time, every. Single. Time

• Jessica says:

Becky!!

Thank you!! Thank you so much!!! This is perfect and you always know how to put things into words.

• Amy Brooks says:

This article is awesome – so glad you approached this topic and brought us all back to the Once who matters most! Amen!

• Sara Davis says:

Yes, we are in uncertain times; but, God has the big picture and no matter who wins the White House not everyone will be pleased. All we can do is trust in the Lord and hope he comes soon and takes us all home.
    God Bless the USA

• Margaret Wolfinbarger says:

The God shaped hole in our hearts is screaming to be filled. This is the human condition. But I really think you could fill in the names with any presidential race. I don’t think 2016 is any different. The best thing we can do is turn off our televisions and pray. http://www.destinationdiscipline.com

• Shellie says:

THIS. IS. AWESOME!!! Thank you!

• Sheena says:

I love this! I am truly one that does not get into politics because I have a hard time believing half of what the candidates say. What is true and what is false, I read this and it made so much sense! It doesn’t matter who we choose as President because you are right, what we crave cannot be provided by anyone here on earth. Thank you for sharing this!!

• Gleniece says:

Oh, Becky. This was beautiful. Thank you.
    We all are crying out for our ONE TRUE KING. Nothing here, however noble or just, will be enough for us. It is Christ and His kingdom that we need.
    Love to you from Arizona.

• Connie says:

Beautiful and had me in tears.
    Thanks for sharing it. God Bless You.

• Brandee says:

This is so good sister! Truth. We cry out for awakening and revival, Oh Father! Come and reveal Your Son to our nation and our world! King Jesus may You reign! For one day all tongues will confess and all knees will bow because You alone are Lord!

Blessings to you Becky!
    Brandee

• Emma says:

Amen!! What a beautiful letter with so much truth to it and that is more assuring than the things of today. I pray that one day your children read this and can look at their current events during their time.

• Hector Raymond says:

Thank you so much for your wonderful words of wisdom. This is best way to see the election. Through the eyes of a child. Let us pray that we can see everyone and everything through the eyes of God. God bless you.

• Rodger duvall says:

From the first command from our Creator Lord God, He knows what is best for us and He knew we wouldn’t obey ,that we would be influenced by deception.
    That is why His covenant redemption can only be received by faith in Jesus ,the only truth.
    When King Solomon prayed in dedication of the Temple ,the command said back to Him from God ” If My People” … The Temple is no longer made with human hands ,but our created bodies now are the Temple where God dwells because of the sacrificial death by Jesus,His Holy Spirit will come a dwell in the one who asks Christ to be Lord of their life everlasting.

• Keri McCue says:

I’ve seen this post being shared countless times on FB by friends that have young kids. While my husband and I don’t have kids yet, I am still praying this for any kids we DO end up having. I pray this over my nieces and friends’ kids. It’s a scary time we live in and we indeed need our Savior. I wish I could just shake everyone and tell them “You need the Lord!!”. You’re most certainly right, we are longing for a king and the One we need is ready and waiting for us to call out to Him! Thank you for sharing your words!

• Patricia S. Schweitzer says:

1 Timothy 6:17-19 He is our King, most assuredly and our civic responsibility is to lay up treasure for ourselves so as to point to a firm foundation for the coming age, so that our children may take hold of the life that is truly life. Thank you for allowing God’s Word and His promises to take priority in the proverbial “talking points” of a divided populace even among God’s people!

• Kent von Schriltz says:

My daughter posted this on Facebook. God bless you and keep you in your journey.