You’re Supposed to Love This

are-you-happy-mommy

There’s this ache that says, “You’re supposed to love this. You’re supposed to love this and be better at all of this. There’s probably something wrong with you. You need to figure it out. Get it together. Figure out how to make yourself enjoy it all more.”

And you believe it. So you look around and you tell yourself, “Self! Enjoy it more!” You make promises like, “Tomorrow I’m going to enjoy it all more! We’re going to the park or to the library! We will read books and laugh, and I will play with them. This is my joy! Not my job.”

But after another restless night of sleep, morning comes full of so many of the things that you were hoping to avoid. And the next thing you know, the voice is back. “See. Today’s no better. It’s always going to be this hard. It’s always going to be this exhausting. Other moms could handle all of this with so much more grace than you!”

And you believe that familiar ache again. You’re exhausted, and you’re discouraged, and now there’s this guilt that won’t let you forget any of it.

Be happier!

Be more fun!

Your kids deserve better!

And so you try harder. Like a hamster on a wheel, you just keep running. Trying. Trying. Trying.

Until you run out. You run right out of everything. You run out of hope. You run out of happy. You run out of try. And as you sit there, feeling like everyone is running right past you, you forget who is sitting right there with you.

He’s easy to miss sometimes.

When you’re so busy running… trying… doing your best to do it all in your own strength, it’s easy to miss the One who has been with you, speaking Truth over your heart the whole time.

Can you hear Him? His words are like a balm to that ache deep in your soul.

He says, “There’s nothing wrong with you. I know it’s hard, but you don’t have to figure it out on your own. I can help. I want to help. I’ve seen you pour out every ounce of your heart like an offering. And I know that Love often looks like sacrifice. But My sacrifice meant we could do this together. It meant that you never had to be alone again. It’s not always going to be this hard. It’s not always going to be this overwhelming. And the joy will come when you let Me be your strength.”

And as you hear His voice, you realize you had been believing lies. You had been listening as the enemy relentless pointed out all of your shortcomings. But as Truth fills your heart, and you hear the voice of Jesus, you understand that maybe hope doesn’t always come like a better night of sleep or finding the right article with the right parenting strategy.

Sometimes, hope looks like surrender.

It doesn’t look like pushing forward. It looks like leaning back into the only One who can carry from this place. And tonight, before the week gets going, let’s both remember that being a happy mommy might just start when we let Jesus make us a whole mommy. Yes, we’re supposed to enjoy this, but let’s decide right now to have grace for the moments when we just don’t.

You’re a good mom. A really stinkin’ good mom.

Let’s pray together.

Lord, thank You for only speaking kindly to us. When we hear words that aren’t kind, even our own thoughts, help us remember that those aren’t from You. They’re NEVER from You. Give us courage to fall back into You. When everything in us wants us to push harder, teach us how to surrender. Teach us how to trust You. And, Lord, restore the joy in our hearts as You show us how to have grace for right where we are, and remind us that we are never alone. In Jesus’s name we pray. Amen.

Comments

• Liz C says:

You have no idea how badly I needed to hear this tonight. Thank you for always saying exactly what I need at exactly the right time. Thank for you for listening to Jesus in your heart and sharing it with is. Thank you.

• Erica says:

Thank you SO much for this! It’s like you wrote it just for me! 😙

• Jennifer Bell says:

Thank you for always reminding me that I am not the only one going through rough times and mainly for reminding me that I need to turn to Him when I am going through these times.

• Amy says:

Thank you for these words! They speak directly to my soul.

• Shelly says:

Thank you so much for this tonight! Today was what felt like a huge Mommy fail day, one of those days that once I got kids to bed I just cried in my husbands arms asking him “what is wrong with me? Between arguments, getting ready for an upcoming crazy week and still trying to unpack from moving into a new house, I didn’t enjoy being a Mom today to our children! What kind of a crappy Mom does that make me?” I needed to read this tonight, to remind me that the good Lord above understands and can help me shake the feelings of never feeling good enough! Thank you for your encouraging words, many Blessings!

• Melody says:

Your words are like water to a thirsry soul. Your message of hope and grace and your description of days and weeks filled with trying released my tears of frustration. No matter how desperately I try, I just can’t do it on my own. Thank you for being the messenger. God knows how much I needed this truth to sink deep.

• Darlene Scott says:

My faith is weak right now! Jesus knows all my needs n wants n I want to leave them at his feet! My boys need God I need strength lord! Please help us to be strong n encourage others n not be selfish be giving ! I want to be happy again n feel love not anger n just go day by day lord but make it count! I love u Jesus n please please let me leave my cares with u n not bring them back! Thank u lord for ur salvation n sacrifice u made along time ago on that old cross! Help dad n thank u for good parents lord! Make me more humble n less stubborn but willing to learn! Thank u lord amen!

• Holly says:

This is amazing! I am not a mom but even us single girls struggle with the lies that enemy tells us! Thank you for hitting the nail on the head and helping me to remember Who I belong to and that He is always with me wanting the best for me and just loving me!!

• bex says:

Sitting here with tears streaming down my face for the 100th time today, feeling so lost and lonely and hating being a mum. Sitting here rocking my 19m old to sleep wondering what on earth is wrong with me, I should leave, they don’t need a mum like me, so full of anger and lacking in joy. I have to be doing more harm than good.

Thank you for this post, hopefully it’ll sink in.

• Kami says:

Thank you so much for sharing your heart and truth that we don’t want to admit!
    I appreciate that you bring it back to Jesus who is the One always with us and there to guide and comfort us.

Thank you for speaking truth!

• Janeen says:

I am not of your faith, but am a woman of faith and very religious. Thank you for all the words that you share and constantly lift me and my spirit. Thank you for your faith that you share.

• Catie says:

These are the words I have been praying for and seeking for! Thank you for being so in tune with Him. These words have given me the strength to keep on going.